5 week old Easter egger still has questionable poops?

Stainedglasschicken

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2021
My chick daphne had watery poop start about a week and a half ago, but had somewhat kind of normal poops in between. I assumed it was cause of heat stress. But now her poop is still watery, not formed well and has kind of white mucous to it I guess? I started exposing my chicks to the dirt from outside, putting a chucnk of earth in their cage to pick at. Now they get little field trips outside. They aren’t on medicated chick starter but have been giving them mixtures of herbs every morning and acv herbal tincture in their water, sometimes with little garlic bits, and sometimes I do offer normal water with it, I’m just afraid to take the acv water away for a day and that be enough for possible parasites/bad bacteria to compromise my chicks. If this is a sign of coccidiosis, I have Liquid corid on hand to treat it just in case. I just need some second opinions on these poop pictures I have

Attachments

• DD7CCBAA-1D13-41BC-85AB-FABDB69ECE02.jpeg
    DD7CCBAA-1D13-41BC-85AB-FABDB69ECE02.jpeg
    768.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 227D6F72-B5DE-452F-96EC-40D55A3A68CA.jpeg
    227D6F72-B5DE-452F-96EC-40D55A3A68CA.jpeg
    568.7 KB · Views: 9
I don't recommend digging a clump of dirt and placing it in the brooder. The dirt has layers of biological organisms and various types of worms.
That's probably smart, although it's already been done in this case. I agree to try the process of elimination, trying just water and feed and seeing if there's a change. Could be that one of the herbals is not agreeing with this chick.

They aren’t on medicated chick starter but have been giving them mixtures of herbs every morning and acv herbal tincture in their water, sometimes with little garlic bits, and sometimes I do offer normal water with it, I’m just afraid to take the acv water away for a day and that be enough for possible parasites/bad bacteria to compromise my chicks. If this is a sign of coccidiosis, I have Liquid corid on hand to treat it just in case.
I would stop all the additions to the water and see if the issue resolves.
How's her behavior?

It shouldn't hurt the chicks to have a plug of sod in the brooder, IF I don't broody raise chicks, then I provide dirt from the runs and yard within the first few days of hatch to introduce them to what they will encounter outside. Key to lessening a Coccidiosis outbreak is keeping your water stations clean and brooder dry.

Back
Top Bottom