5 week old Orpington, Pullet or Cockerel?

Excuse me?
Wow.
I am not new to this. I am not an adult, it’s true, but I did three years of hardcore research before getting chickens and took an online college level course on chickens.
I know my stuff.
And if you are talking about feather sexing, I’ll have you know it only works accurately on chicks from a cross that was
fast feathering parent x slow feathering parent.
Many blogs and sites claim that it works on all birds, and while for certain breeds there may be some truth to this, it is NOT very accurate.
Please don’t be rude.
Also if u were new you would know females have longer wings in tails

No one graduated from an institution of higher learning with a degree in veterinary medicine with grammar (or an attitude) like that. I’ve had poultry for over 15 years and been this a member of this knowledgeable forum with two separate profiles during that time. Wing-sexing works on some breeds/crosses of chickens. It does not work on all of them. It does not work on Buff Orpingtons. I currently breed multiple varieties of English Orpingtons and can say without a doubt that is factual and that’s with a degree in Psychology and in English. ;)

That's odd.
I didn't realize professional veterinarians had their own vet to do their job.

They actually said that? What? Seriously?

I really don’t understand why they’re so worked up about this.
I’ve never gotten so many replies on a thread before. It’s sad I can’t trust that this person is serious or is in anyway wanting to help anyone learn at all.

Last edited:
No one graduated from an institution of higher learning with a degree in veterinary medicine with grammar (or an attitude) like that. I’ve had poultry for over 15 years and been this a member of this knowledgeable forum with two separate profiles during that time. Wing-sexing works on some breeds/crosses of chickens. It does not work on all of them. It does not work on Buff Orpingtons. I currently breed multiple varieties of English Orpingtons and can say without a doubt that is factual and that’s with a degree in Psychology and in English. ;)
Yes, some crosses. Thank you.

Oh my word. Some of the things I read on here some days.... haha.

my personal-not-terribly-experienced opinion is pullet for now. The comb and wattle development is very similar to my golden Crele Legbar at around the same age and shes 100% a pullet, so hopeful for you that we’re all right. :p that’s the only “normal” single combed breed I have to compare other than my obvious icelandic cockerel though, so definitely take my guess as a guess. xD

Uh no feather sexing works on standard breed i am professional veterinarian that works with chicken I did vet school espically on chicken I had a friend that worked with cackle hatchery and I know my stuff okay pulleys have longer wings and tail when there younger MALES has shorter wings and tails BUT when they grown to 10 weeks the pulleys and cockerel have the same length okay. And I’ve own lost if chickens and the pulleys always have longer wings and tails even google says I learned determining gender there is feather sexing which works on standard breed and vent sexing buff Orpington are standard so the female will have longer wings and tails please do proper research and I can tell ur lying with ur words do know how because female less than 10 weeks old have longer wings and tail. You probably never own baby chicks i bet you only own adults it’s ok ur new just know FEMALES less that 10 weeks old have longer wings feather and tail feather. MALES less than 10 weeks have shorter wing and tails. :)
You have to be kidding.
Stop right now with the insults and ridicules. I have owned chicks. I have owned adult chickens. I answer almost every single sexing thread posted here. And I am good at it. I learn from experience, mistakes, books, other members, and most of all my own birds.
Wing sexing does not work on most standard breeds. Why would it?
They grow at the same rate. They do not show differences, and you can’t accurately feather sex them. Chicks of the fast feathering x slow feathering cross will show differences.
People have been misinformed over the years. You being one of them. Blogs and other sites claim you can feather sex all. You can’t.
So maybe sit back for a minute, and think about how you are treating me and how you are souring this thread with your rude behavior. I’m fine if you don’t change your opinion, though please don’t go around telling everyone that it works because it isn’t true.
Thank you.

They actually said that? What? Seriously?

I really don’t understand why they’re so worked up about this.
I’ve never gotten so many replies on a thread before. It’s sad I can’t trust that this person is serious or is in anyway wanting to help anyone learn at all.
Yeah...sorry for messing up your thread. It was my fault too.

Back
Top Bottom