5 week old Orpington, Pullet or Cockerel?

Pics

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
I’d thought this kid a girl for a while, but she’s still quite young and now her tiny amount of waddle development and new assertive personality has me wondering if I was wrong.
Hatched sept 14, has been alone this past week due to being bullied.
8AD2921C-27B6-4BC8-8554-9F8DDF5924B0.jpeg
54B5D528-66FA-4678-80CF-33E449D34CE1.jpeg

Still trying to work out what anger wing sexing is, and why it's so accurate.
Let me explain it for you.
Piss the chick off.
Male chicks will usually flap their wings and run around in circles.
A female chick will stand her ground. Extend her wings outward but bend them at the elbow back towards the body. Placing the wing tips on their hips.
That posture is called showing her b!t©h wings.
Not unlike human females also do when angry.

No one graduated from an institution of higher learning with a degree in veterinary medicine with grammar (or an attitude) like that. I’ve had poultry for over 15 years and been this a member of this knowledgeable forum with two separate profiles during that time. Wing-sexing works on some breeds/crosses of chickens. It does not work on all of them. It does not work on Buff Orpingtons. I currently breed multiple varieties of English Orpingtons and can say without a doubt that is factual and that’s with a degree in Psychology and in English. ;)

@TheOddOneOut i think best thing we can do at this point is skim over and ignore. :) (although I feel your frustration) All we can really do is provide clear, concise, correct information and let the OP work from there - I think most of us would be a lot more trusting of a well written, thoughtful response than a jumble. And the only behaviour we have control over is our own. :hugs

Let me explain it for you.
Piss the chick off.
Male chicks will usually flap their wings and run around in circles.
A female chick will stand her ground. Extend her wings outward but bend them at the elbow back towards the body. Placing the wing tips on their hips.
That posture is called showing her b!t©h wings.
Not unlike human females also do when angry.
Lord help me I can't breathe. :lau

I’ve never gotten so many replies on a thread before. It’s sad I can’t rust that this person is serious or is in anyway wanting to help anyone learn at all.

All it takes is a few people who cannot agree, and the thread starts to get lots of replies :lol:

I'll be curious to know what gender your chick turns out to be, in a few weeks or months when it's obvious. At that point, we'll at least know the truth about that particular chick's gender!

And for the record: I've seen male chicks with shorter tails, and female chicks with shorter tails, and both genders with matching tail lengths (short or long). Different breeds, fast or slow feathering (either can occur in either gender), and various other factors can all affect it. So I ignore tail length when guessing chicken gender, except for mature longtail males where it is several feet long and dragging on the ground. For those, I do grant that "long tail" is proof of gender.

Back
Top Bottom