Pullet or cockerel?

Draconic

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2024
Hiya, so, I ended up buying a group of five chocolate silver-laced Orps from a local breeder, I unfortunately didn't get to raise them from hatching, I got them where they were between two and five weeks old (all different ages) and the breeder sexed them on pick-up, they said they should all be hens, but I have a very, very noticeable cockerel in my bunch, and he's been being an absolute menace to this chick in particular. I notice they (seven weeks) are also now starting to develope a comb and small waddles, along with a different chick who's the same age, and my eldest pullet still doesn't even really have a comb, let alone waddles. I was hoping for some insight on what gender this chick might be.

Attachments

• 20240409_071259.jpg
    20240409_071259.jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240409_190630.jpg
    20240409_190630.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240409_190612.jpg
    20240409_190612.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 21
The one in th bottom two pictures are cockerels.
The one in the top picture looks like a pullet

It looks like a different chick in the top picture, is it a older photo?
No, these were all taken today, the top one was taken this morning and the bottom two were this evening. I was trying to get a facial shot and their back feathers before I asked, because I thoughts people might be able to tell better with those

No, these were all taken today, the top one was taken this morning and the bottom two were this evening. I was trying to get a facial shot and their back feathers before I asked, because I thoughts people might be able to tell better with those
I see the resemblance now, and i thought you said they were older. Its definitely a cockerel.

I see the resemblance now, and i thought you said they were older. Its definitely a cockerel.
Oof... thank you, I unfortunately can't keep him, but he's like my baby, I was really hoping he was a pullet. Does that mean my other chick might also be a cockerel? They're the same age, both seven weeks old, and they also have a slightly bigger comb and are starting to drop waddles.

Attachments

• 20240409_070759.jpg
    20240409_070759.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 18
Oof... thank you, I unfortunately can't keep him, but he's like my baby, I was really hoping he was a pullet. Does that mean my other chick might also be a cockerel? They're the same age, both seven weeks old, and they also have a slightly bigger comb and are starting to drop waddles.
Im sorry you cant keep him, all the cockerels tend to be friendlier somehow

If you post pictures of the other ones i can tell.

If they have combs and wattles like him, more than likely they are cockerels to.

Im sorry you cant keep him, all the cockerels tend to be friendlier somehow

If you post pictures of the other ones i can tell.

If they have combs and wattles like him, more than likely they are cockerels to.
Yeah, it was the chick I posted in the attachment of the last message. I was actually hatching eggs to get a rooster of a different breed, Aloha chickens, and... I don't believe I could keep both him, the other chick and a third rooster, I probably can't even keep both of the roosters I have now haha.

I was just wondering because the one cockerel is a menace to these two seven week olds, he's not nearly as bad with the pullets who are both older than him, so I wasn't sure of whether or not it was because these two were younger than him, or if it was because all three of them were males. I might just give up on the Aloha male and keep this fellow, because he's an absolute sweetheart and a cuddle bug. I would feel horrible if I had to rehome him

I would guess cockerel for the one with the yellow band based on the color of those wattles. That’s been a good (or maybe bad) sign to help me determine gender around this age.

Back
Top Bottom