5 week old peachick with runny droppings

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
My little peachick, Brat (an only child) is 5 weeks old and seems happy and healthy...has just completed a 5 day regiment of Safe Guard, eats well (chick starter - both dry and made into a wet mash). Occasionally I give it a drop or so of NutriDrench which it loves. It has been in a brooder with a heat lamp since hatching - in my living room. Flies around the room - plenty of energy - curious and alert. As soon as it is big enough I am transferring it to an outside pen (chain link) next to the adult peafowl. My only concern is that his droppings are watery. Not sure why. Not sure what to do about it. Any suggestions?

Although it is highly unlikely that a peachick kept inside the house will ever contract worms it can get cocci from your hands and clothing. At five weeks it should be fully feathered and ready to be outside with a heat lamp. Winter is coming and it needs time to develop good insulation under the feathers.

It just completed a five day treatment of Safeguard. I will follow up in 10 days as indicated. Will that remove any threat of cocci?

Cocci is not something that birds are ever completely without, there will always be a trace of it in their system. They need to build up a resistance to cocci that they can live with, all we can do is control the amount until they can handle it. Hen hatched and raised chicks on clean ground will build up an immunity starting from day one. When the chicks have not been exposed until after weeks of being in a brooder and then put on the ground they get overwhelmed and get sick. That is why we give regular two week treatments of sulfadimethoxine for cocci and monthly treatments for worms.

Can you po
worm treatment is different, Corid is used to treat coccidosis

Thanks for the recommendation. I am preparing to order some Corid. Should I get the powder or the liquid? Should I get the 9.6% for calves? Do you know how I should administer it? I am using it on one 5 week old peachick that is just now on the ground with the other peafowl.

Cocci is not something that birds are ever completely without, there will always be a trace of it in their system. They need to build up a resistance to cocci that they can live with, all we can do is control the amount until they can handle it. Hen hatched and raised chicks on clean ground will build up an immunity starting from day one. When the chicks have not been exposed until after weeks of being in a brooder and then put on the ground they get overwhelmed and get sick. That is why we give regular two week treatments of sulfadimethoxine for cocci and monthly treatments for worms.

I am ordering the Corid now. I am told that is what to use for the chicks. Is that what you use?

Back
Top Bottom