5 week old pullet died

:oops:
My bad... again. I didn't bother reading the title.

What exactly were you feeding and where exactly were you keeping the chicks?
What was the temperature of where you were keeping the chicks?

Do you have other birds besides these three?

What was her poop like? Or was there any unusual poo in there run that could hav have been her's? if so, pics? What was the temp? I am thinking worms maybe, if she was smaller, I am not super experienced with worms though, but poo is a good indicator.

We have an older group (4 years) of hens who are kept in a separate area. We did not notice any unusual poops (we know to look for cocci). She was kept in a brooder with a heat lamp and let out in an closed off space during the day. Fed chick starter and water with probiotics. Felt her crop to see if she might have a blockage but it was empty - which was weird for the time of day. Worms might be possible, I suppose. We can take a closer look at the poop.

What brand feed do you feed her? Was she bullied? Any wounds? Do you still have her body? If so I would send it to your state lab for a necropsy. They're pretty inexpensive, and then you'll know what happened. Be sure to refrigerate, not freeze her body if you do send it though.

Hmm, was there any chance the food was mold? We once had a chicken who randomly dropped dead in the blink of an eye, when she was showing no signs of any issues. That was from mold. Check the feed and if you liv table scraps make sure you aren't feeding anything moldy. It's often hard to find the exact reason why a chicken or chick randomly dies, when we down aha may clues. The best way to figure it out it to do an necropsy, whether you do it, or a lab. But a lab will be more efficient. Good luck! Her being so small makes me think worms, but I am not sure experienced with that :p .This may be a little out of the way, but was there any string left in the run? i've heard that string left int he run may be eaten by the chickens, will get tangled in there innards, and cause death. Just exploring all the options!

Hmm, was there any chance the food was mold? We once had a chicken who randomly dropped dead in the blink of an eye, when she was showing no signs of any issues. That was from mold. Check the feed and if you liv table scraps make sure you aren't feeding anything moldy. It's often hard to find the exact reason why a chicken or chick randomly dies, when we down aha may clues. The best way to figure it out it to do an necropsy, whether you do it, or a lab. But a lab will be more efficient. Good luck! Her being so small makes me think worms, but I am not sure experienced with that :p .This may be a little out of the way, but was there any string left in the run? i've heard that string left int he run may be eaten by the chickens, will get tangled in there innards, and cause death. Just exploring all the options!
One of my EE hens ate twine once. She didn't make it. That was so sad. I second that, make sure all string or twine is picked up always.

Back
Top Bottom