5 week old ringneck pheasant

Redemption

Chirping
Apr 13, 2021
I have a 5 week old ringneck pheasant who is giving me some alarming behavior. She was a single hatch out of a small batch of eggs and has always been super lively.

Last night I got home and notice her puffed up, head drooping, general weakness in walking and keeping her eyes open, wings drooping but not to the ground. and I noticed that her water was dry. She's been indoors in a brood box since day one, right now that area has been a steady 80F. The last couple of days has been crazy with work (got home at 10pm last night) I don't know if she was out of water for one or two days... I feel absolutely horrible and can't believe I slipped on something this important.

I mixed an electrolyte solution fed some by mouth via a small syringe and monitored for a few hours, over that two hours I witnessed some walking some stumbling some semi normal behavior.

This morning same condition. Gave her a little more water and I've headed off for work. Droppings look normal that I could find amongst the enclosure

Is this severe dehydration or is there something else going on?

Sounds like severe dehydration. Hopefully her metabolic systems have not been damaged beyond the point of recovery. :(
That Pheasant passed away soon after I left (Died as the missus was holding it) now one of my fresh babies who is completely isolated from where that other Pheasant was is exhibiting the same behavior (except that pheasant has had no interruptions in access to water......HELP

That Pheasant passed away soon after I left (Died as the missus was holding it) now one of my fresh babies who is completely isolated from where that other Pheasant was is exhibiting the same behavior (except that pheasant has had no interruptions in access to water......HELP
I'm not experienced with Pheasants but just throwing some questions out here. Could it be heatstroke? Are they in direct sun? You can gently pull the skin between your fingers and let go to see if it tents. If it stays up it's a sign of severe dehydration.

I'm wondering if something is causing them to not drink for some reason? Any predator attacks or sightings?

I'm not experienced with Pheasants but just throwing some questions out here. Could it be heatstroke? Are they in direct sun? You can gently pull the skin between your fingers and let go to see if it tents. If it stays up it's a sign of severe dehydration.

I'm wondering if something is causing them to not drink for some reason? Any predator attacks or sightings?
No these are all in indoor brooders with red light for heat. This one was wobbly out of the egg as was the first one, the third one seems to be fine and super lively.....do you think theres something going on with the parents? Something being passed along?

The red light heat lamp is open air and several feet away, angled so they have shaded places to retreat to....The lamps are on 24/7 but in my current setup its the only way I can keep it at that 85 degree threshold.....what do I do?

No these are all in indoor brooders with red light for heat. This one was wobbly out of the egg as was the first one, the third one seems to be fine and super lively.....do you think theres something going on with the parents? Something being passed along?

The red light heat lamp is open air and several feet away, angled so they have shaded places to retreat to....The lamps are on 24/7 but in my current setup its the only way I can keep it at that 85 degree threshold.....what do I do?
That is really strange then. I'll tag some others here for you. It could be something genetic, but it seems odd that it's so sudden.

@Eggcessive
@sourland
@azygous
@MGG

Any of you guys able to help out here?

Whelp..... The baby died this morning despite every effort made to prevent its untimely demise. It was 5 days old. the remaining pheasant which is two days old is now greviously ill with exactly the same issue.

I cant seem to get any responses here to figure out what the hell is going on and I have three fresh baby pheasants sitting in the incubator and I am flat out afraid to pull them out and put them in a cage.... I really honestly need some help here from someone... at this point ive yanked the light completely and totally off of that brooder, Ive removed the water which had rock in it.....

I dont know if its the aquarium rock I placed in to prevent drowning, or the timothy hay bedding or some other factor.....I flat out dont know what to do.

it is very very clear that this is not a water issue, or does not stem from the water directly this is definitely an illness issue, but I have NO IDEA what......Can someone please help me so these babies can stop dying?

Back
Top Bottom