5 week old silkie chick with wry neck :((

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
I just checked on my little ones to find that one of them has wry neck. I just lost my most precious silkie hens a month ago from some kind of neurological issue and wry neck.

I had checked on them probably an hour beforehand, he has not been exhibiting any symptoms for long. My nine others are perfectly fine.

At the moment it is winter, and they are almost feathered. They live inside during the night in a brooder I built, and outside in a little protected run with a small heat lamp during the day.

They are on medicated barastoc chick starter, with small daily treats of very nutrient rich foods like broccoli, chia seeds, herbs, chickweed, and egg.

I know that the most common cause of wry neck is a vitamin deficiency, but that would be very unexpected, considering they have a complete diet with extra supplements and vegetables.

I don't see why the chicks would be exposed to any toxins.

How do you know if a chick has a head injury? I see no signs of any physical trauma, but he does have a vaulted skull.

I'm happy to hand feed him and monitor him, as we're in lockdown anyways. I can feed him some vitamin E and selenium rich foods. What else can I do?
20210723_162444.jpg

My recommendation would be to separate her from the rest of the flock and bring her inside so she doesn't have to use any strength she has keeping warm other then that your using vitamin e and force feeding her so that's good you should also try to get selenium so it's easier for her to obsorb the vitamin e. If it's been affecting your other hens it could be a genetic problem😢 I've only had limited experience with wry neck in a guinea chick and he didn't make it sadly I hope yours fairs better then Kermit did🙏🙏🙌🖤

Hello. If you catch this quickly, like it appears you did, this can sometimes be overcome, but you'll need to start treatment as soon as possible. We raise Silkies and have had to deal with Wry Neck several times with success.

I see that you're in Melbourne, AUS too, so I'm not familiar with products available to you for chicken health. Which of the following do you have available to you for her treatment?

a) Vitamin-E
b) Selenium (transport for Vit-E)
c) Vitamin B-Complex (vitamins)
d) Vitamin B-4 (only because I can't find it in any B-Complex variant)
e) Nutri-Drench (vitamins)
f) Liquid Vit B-12 (high dose variant by Rooster Booster)
g) Prednisone (for swelling)
h) Yogurt (good bacteria for digestive health)
i) Syringes or Droppers for watering
j) a safe space for her to rest and recover

Hello. If you catch this quickly, like it appears you did, this can sometimes be overcome, but you'll need to start treatment as soon as possible. We raise Silkies and have had to deal with Wry Neck several times with success.

I see that you're in Melbourne, AUS too, so I'm not familiar with products available to you for chicken health. Which of the following do you have available to you for her treatment?

a) Vitamin-E
Hi there, how much vitamin B12 can I give my 9 week old polish? She has wry neck she is still up and walking but her head is tweaking out and weaving on and off. I’m buying some vitamin E with selenium gel pills I heard you can break them open and give the chick a couple drops in the morning and at night. Is this true? If you could comment on my post that would be great I’m really trying to seek more advice on Wry Neck this is my first experience.

Hi there, how much vitamin B12 can I give my 9 week old polish? She has wry neck she is still up and walking but her head is tweaking out and weaving on and off. I’m buying some vitamin E with selenium gel pills I heard you can break them open and give the chick a couple drops in the morning and at night. Is this true? If you could comment on my post that would be great I’m really trying to seek more advice on Wry Neck this is my first experience.

I haven't heard of Vit-E gel pills with Selenium in them, but since you did, check the amount of Selenium for each gel pill in micrograms (mcg), and check that you're using 400IU gel pills. If only 200IU or something different, you'll have to convert for the 400IU dosage, and be careful of the amount of Selenium. We try to stay below 50-60mcg per day, and even that is on the larger end of the dosing spectrum, but we mix the Selenium in as a separate ingredient, using 1/8 of a 200mcg tablet (25mcg) at each dose. If you have Vit B-Complex tablets, use 1/4 tablet once per day at the first dose only. Subsequent doses don't need it (or the Selenium, just the Vit-E).

Now, most feed a 400IU gel once or twice per day. I've gone to as many as three per day with 400IU Vit-E with success in severe cases, but two doses/day will probably work here since your chick is not exhibiting extreme symptoms. Getting a chick to take the E is the trick though.

We use a moist paste mix of a few ingredients in a small bowl or ramekin to get the chick to eat this on their own. Your results may vary.
We start with the 1/4 tablet of Vit B-Complex (or a Liquid Vit-B complex like Poly-Vi-Sol - about 3-4 drops of this in the mix you're making).
Since you're using Vitamin B in tablet form, crush/pulverize the Vit B-Complex tablet, and mix it into about 1/2 TBSP of dry Starter Feed.
Add about 1/4 TBSP of Yogurt (any flavor; ours seem to like "mixed berry").
Then puncture the Vit E gel and squeeze it over the Yogurt/Feed/Vit-B in the bowl.
Mix thoroughly to a moist paste that's about the consistency of a dough ball for baking cookies.
If the mix is too dry, add a bit more Yogurt; if too wet, add a little more feed. We try to get this mixture moist enough to stick to our fingers, but dry enough that it will break apart if prodded with a fork.

Feed to your baby first thing in the morning. If using a second dose per day, leave the Vit B-Complex out, but mix all the other ingredients together and administer in the late afternoon, early evening. You may see positive results in as little as a few hours to a few days. However, this can sometimes take weeks to get past, so be ready for that. We had a little Silkie with a severe case of Wry Neck that began treatment on June 22 and is just now beginning to trail off of those treatments...

Run a search on the web or on this Forum using "WRY NECK" as your search parameter, and you'll find TONS of info. The Search window on this site is at the top of the page. Find the Forums tab, then look on the line just below it, and you'll see "Search Forums" in a tan-colored bar. Follow the dropdown boxes that follow.

Good luck with your Polish! Let us know how she does?

I haven't heard of Vit-E gel pills with Selenium in them, but since you did, check the amount of Selenium for each gel pill in micrograms (mcg), and check that you're using 400IU gel pills. If only 200IU or something different, you'll have to convert for the 400IU dosage, and be careful of the amount of Selenium. We try to stay below 50-60mcg per day, and even that is on the larger end of the dosing spectrum, but we mix the Selenium in as a separate ingredient, using 1/8 of a 200mcg tablet (25mcg) at each dose. If you have Vit B-Complex tablets, use 1/4 tablet once per day at the first dose only. Subsequent doses don't need it (or the Selenium, just the Vit-E).

Now, most feed a 400IU gel once or twice per day. I've gone to as many as three per day with 400IU Vit-E with success in severe cases, but two doses/day will probably work here since your chick is not exhibiting extreme symptoms. Getting a chick to take the E is the trick though.

We use a moist paste mix of a few ingredients in a small bowl or ramekin to get the chick to eat this on their own. Your results may vary.
We start with the 1/4 tablet of Vit B-Complex (or a Liquid Vit-B complex like Poly-Vi-Sol - about 3-4 drops of this in the mix you're making).
Since you're using Vitamin B in tablet form, crush/pulverize the Vit B-Complex tablet, and mix it into about 1/2 TBSP of dry Starter Feed.
Add about 1/4 TBSP of Yogurt (any flavor; ours seem to like "mixed berry").
Then puncture the Vit E gel and squeeze it over the Yogurt/Feed/Vit-B in the bowl.
Mix thoroughly to a moist paste that's about the consistency of a dough ball for baking cookies.
If the mix is too dry, add a bit more Yogurt; if too wet, add a little more feed. We try to get this mixture moist enough to stick to our fingers, but dry enough that it will break apart if prodded with a fork.

Feed to your baby first thing in the morning. If using a second dose per day, leave the Vit B-Complex out, but mix all the other ingredients together and administer in the late afternoon, early evening. You may see positive results in as little as a few hours to a few days. However, this can sometimes take weeks to get past, so be ready for that. We had a little Silkie with a severe case of Wry Neck that began treatment on June 22 and is just now beginning to trail off of those treatments...

Run a search on the web or on this Forum using "WRY NECK" as your search parameter, and you'll find TONS of info. The Search window on this site is at the top of the page. Find the Forums tab, then look on the line just below it, and you'll see "Search Forums" in a tan-colored bar. Follow the dropdown boxes that follow.

Good luck with your Polish! Let us know how she does?
Thank you so much!! I’ve been giving her 1/4 Vitamin B Complex and also vitamin E 400 IU with no selenium. I have been doing this 1-2 Tim’s per day and she has been slowly improving. She isn’t there yet but I feel like it’s working and definitely preventing it from getting worse. She can still eat and drink and walk around but her balance is very bad.

Thank you so much!! I’ve been giving her 1/4 Vitamin B Complex and also vitamin E 400 IU with no selenium. I have been doing this 1-2 Tim’s per day and she has been slowly improving. She isn’t there yet but I feel like it’s working and definitely preventing it from getting worse. She can still eat and drink and walk around but her balance is very bad.

I hear you, and I think I know what's at issue: Your Polish is likely not getting enough Vit-E because you're not giving Selenium with it. Selenium is the transporter for Vit-E. Without Selenium, she won't be able to absorb most of the "E".

If you don't have Selenium tablets (available in most CVS, Walgreens, etc), you can feed fried or hard-boiled eggs with the Vit-E to her; eggs contain Selenium. However, determining what dosage of Selenium she's received is going to be a shot in the dark. Brazil Nuts, Sunflower Seeds, and other foods contain Selenium too, but again, the dosage is going to be in question. NOTE: There are experts that I trust on this forum that say that just a little egg per day is enough Selenium for the uptake of Vit-E in the bird. So, do with that what you will.

In any case, try giving the Vit-E with Selenium (egg) for a few days, and you should see more improvement. This can be a long process as I mentioned above. I'm in the 6th week of treating our little girl, but I'm happy to report she's doing beautifully after having a VERY severe case of wry neck where she could barely get her head up and/or from between her legs...

Last edited:

a) Vitamin-E
Hi! She's still with us and making slow but steady progress 🥰

I must've checked on her within an hour or two of her first symptoms!

The products are by vetsenseanimalhealth, check out their website or insta! Would recommend! What suburb in Melb are you in? I'm in Wantirna sth, in southeast melbourne.

I have been giving her hand-rearing bird food instead of the medicated starter, it is 23% protein. Supplementing this with organic brazil nuts (VERY high in selenium), sunflower seeds (vitamin e), hemp seeds (high in protein and omega 3), lcm, pepitas, cinnamon, Tumeric, thyme, oregano, vitamin b complex, avi-vital, dried goji berries, papaya, etc....

I do have yogurt, I make my own with goat's milk. I also have soy, almond, cashew milk, etc for dairy-free options. Avi- vital does contain prebiotics, and I can give her some chicken-safe kombucha.

I do have a little syringe, and she has learned to drink from my finger 🤗

I never force feed chickens, as they can choke or inhale liquids. She is eating just fine as long as she's in a comfortable position.

Her legs were slightly splayed. for the first few days, I had to keep her in a little wooden box with pine shavings and a sock stretched over it, to stop her flailing around. I was concerned she wasn't building any muscle strength. I let her roll around a little more, and put a gentle straw & rubber band brace on her legs for a day.

Her legs are perfectly fine now 🤩

She is very chirpy and happy, as long as she's not panicked and rolling around.

She is able to stand and preen, but not walk quite yet.

She has gotten so fluffy, although gets so grotty after a meal, I have to bathe and blowdry her sometimes. A couple of times she fell into the water bowl and got very wet🥲

I thought she was a cockerel, but I'm almost certain she's a hen now :wee

She should be very bonded to me, hopefully, she'll become my new emotional support chicken <3

I'll make sure to keep you updated, and send you some photos!

a) Vitamin-E
Hi! She's still with us and making slow but steady progress 🥰

I must've checked on her within an hour or two of her first symptoms!

The products are by vetsenseanimalhealth, check out their website or insta! Would recommend! What suburb in Melb are you in? I'm in Wantirna sth, in southeast melbourne.

I have been giving her hand-rearing bird food instead of the medicated starter, it is 23% protein. Supplementing this with organic brazil nuts (VERY high in selenium), sunflower seeds (vitamin e), hemp seeds (high in protein and omega 3), lcm, pepitas, cinnamon, Tumeric, thyme, oregano, vitamin b complex, avi-vital, dried goji berries, papaya, etc....

I do have yogurt, I make my own with goat's milk. I also have soy, almond, cashew milk, etc for dairy-free options. Avi- vital does contain prebiotics, and I can give her some chicken-safe kombucha.

I do have a little syringe, and she has learned to drink from my finger 🤗

I never force feed chickens, as they can choke or inhale liquids. She is eating just fine as long as she's in a comfortable position.

Her legs were slightly splayed. for the first few days, I had to keep her in a little wooden box with pine shavings and a sock stretched over it, to stop her flailing around. I was concerned she wasn't building any muscle strength. I let her roll around a little more, and put a gentle straw & rubber band brace on her legs for a day.

Her legs are perfectly fine now 🤩

She is very chirpy and happy, as long as she's not panicked and rolling around.

She is able to stand and preen, but not walk quite yet.

She has gotten so fluffy, although gets so grotty after a meal, I have to bathe and blowdry her sometimes. A couple of times she fell into the water bowl and got very wet🥲

I thought she was a cockerel, but I'm almost certain she's a hen now :wee

She should be very bonded to me, hopefully, she'll become my new emotional support chicken <3

I'll make sure to keep you updated, and send you some photos!

Back
Top Bottom