5 Week Old Wood Duck

iWOODDUCKifiwereu

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2017
I posted about 3 weeks ago regarding an orphaned wood duck that my wife and I were raising. The duck is now 5 weeks old and we have been feeding it the MannaPro Gamebird/Showbird Crumbles. At what point should I change it's food to something with less protein in it and what are some examples of feed that some of you use or would suggest for a 5 week old wood duck. I keep hearing about angel wings and how feed high in protein for too long can cause it.

Aside from that, our duck is doing quite well. I know that wood ducks are a smaller breed of duck, so ours is not huge at 5 weeks. It basically fits in both hands put together and is really starting to grow feathers, with the tail feathers being the most pronounced at this point. I've felt the duck all over and can feel the feathers starting to grow almost everywhere. Aside from nibbling our fingers a bit harder (which is now starting to hurt a little), it is still very cuddly and loves to be held/touched most everywhere. If it's nibbles start to hurt a bit, I gently force the duck down and say "no". Seems to be working as after I do this it tends to do it less.

Any info on raising is helpful. Thanks for reading my post.

updated pictures or it aint real ! LOl
I read a big discussion about angel wing and general consensus is they dont know what causes it. genetics is my guess. I wouldnt worry to much about what your feeding but with that being said, I feed flock raiser from TSC. I fed my baby chicks, adults (with free choice calcium) ducks and turkey . I no longer have anything except chickens but they all seemed to thrive on it.

Here are the latest pics.

Attachments

• 20170628_185722.jpg
    20170628_185722.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20170628_185726.jpg
    20170628_185726.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 40

Back
Top Bottom