5 week olds to the coop or not

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmb221, Feb 28, 2012.

1. kmb221

kmb221 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Shippensburg, PA
    I pretty much have my mind set on doing this, but just need some encouragement. 25 chicks are 5 weeks old, fully feathered and pretty good size. They outgrew the brooder and are in a pen hubby made for in between brooder and regular chicken coop. They are almost too big to be in the in between coop.

We can put a heat lamp in the big coop and keep the doors shut for them to keep warm, but can always let them out on a nice day like today here in PA. The coop is pretty tall and we can put insulation in the air vents at the top.

I just need someone to say, it's okay. Thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    They should be fine. I'd skip the insulation though.

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Sounds like they're good to go. Put them in the coop and don't worry about it.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

We have been having such a mild winter that my chicks have been in the shed since they were 3 weeks old, with 300 watts of light out there to huddle under. They come and go out the pop door as they please.

This is because of the mild winter. I would not open the pop door if it were colder here. Three weeks is when I have found that chicks are smart enough to come and go from the coop without just standing outside freezing to death (edited to add that when I had a ramp up to a coop I had to wait longer than three weeks before trusting them to go back to the coop).

So I would go for it...and like HE chicken said, they need the ventilation in the coop. If it is drafty though you might plug some of the holes. You don't want breezes blowing on chicks or adults. Ideally the air moves up at the top of the coop and where the chicks are underneath it is still.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    mine are 4 wks old & in the coop for about 4 days now. they were picking on each other & needed to spread them out. things have gone great. their pop door was open today for the first time for about 30 min. with me sitting there. i can't let them outside alone (i don't have a top on the run). i'm glad i moved them, so i say go for it.

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I agree. Move them to the coop and skip the insulation. I move mine to the coop at 5 - 6 weeks. I put a heat lamp in one corner for them to huddle under if the get cold.

7. kmb221

kmb221 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Shippensburg, PA
    Thanks everyone. The coop has been cleaned. Is raining here today, but will make the transition in the next couple of days. Will take your advice on the ventilation.

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You've got some nice weather going on in PA. I'm envious of highs hitting 60F. They shouldn't need heat anymore being fully feathered at 5 weeks. If your worried I'd just put a small watt bulb in, like colored 60W, and only have it on at night.

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I put mine in the unheated coop - but with a heat lamp - at 2 days old. As long as they have a warm spot to go to if they need warming, and as long as there aren't any drafts, they'll be fine. I've tried brooding in the house and then the garage - never again! The coop is bigger and they seem happier there. I have some that are just a week old now, and they're doing great - running all over the place and returning to the heat lamp area only occasionally.

10. Josh675

Josh675 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    Georgetown, SC
    Helpful information I will be moving mine earlier than expected.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by