5 week olds won't go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cluckn Crazy, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I have six five week olds. They have been in their coop for about 3 weeks. The door to the tunnel/pop door has been open through the day for a week. They are a little freaked in the tunnel, but definitly won't go into their run. Is this typical or do they need some help? They're missing the great sunny days of fall! Any suggestions?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    They just need time, when they're ready, they'll find it. You could always try putting some tempting treats just outside the door.

You should've seen when I moved my run and opened a new pop door in the coop. None of the chickens (and they were adults) would go outside for over a week. One brave hen figured it out within a day and had all that lush grass and bug population all to herself for the whole week! Once they all figured it out, they turned it into packed dirt in no time.

3. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I bet if you put a pile of mealworms at the end of the tunnel they'll come out.[​IMG]

4. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Thank you for your posts. I'll be patient. Just wanted to make sure it was in the range of "normal."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by