5 weeks old and peck happy

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
Is this normal for ALL my chicks to start pecking at me at once??? Hannibal (properly named) pecked at my eye yesterday and now when I reach in the brooder they all run over to peck at me. I have been lightly thumping them when they do it, but it hasn;t helped.

They are probably just used to you feeding them. I know all the ones I have hatched from the incubator have pecked at my fingers, rather than the food. If you give them treats from your hand, they are probably just looking for goodies! If you have ever seen a mother hen with her chicks, she finds something good, picks it up and drops it when the chicks get close enough to see it...probably likes to keep her eyes as well!

Last edited:
That's for sure they definitely are weird llittle birdies!! But they are still probably just wanting food...I edited my other post BTW...
smile.png

I am glad to know it's normal. Too funny. I have had these guys next to me since they were a week old. Now they are outside in their own brooder next to the bigger gals, and that's when it started. None of my other bigger gals do that to me unless I have pestered them. And that happens, I have to say. *blush*

I also have 5 week old peck happy babies. It's not so cute anymore. It hurts.

But I've also noticed that it is monkey see, monkey do with them. One jumps on my arm, they all want to. One jumped on a ladder today and within one minute there were seven on it! They are learning and exploring and coping everyone else.....and have learned you give the treats!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom