5 weeks old outside all night?

anic0rn

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
I have 9, 5 week old chicks (looking like 7 pullets and 2 cockrels.) Its been warm inside the house (75-80) so I haven't had the lamp on them for several days. We finished building our coop and the chicks have been trying to get out of the brooder and are very active and loud. I would love to move them out permanently. It is currently in the 60s-70s during the day and 30s-40s at night. The chicks are not fully feathered but are mostly there. They just need some more neck feathers. I would put the lamp on at night for them, would they be ok?

Attachments

• 20210413_144542.jpg
    20210413_144542.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 46
I have 9, 5 week old chicks (looking like 7 pullets and 2 cockrels.) Its been warm inside the house (75-80) so I haven't had the lamp on them for several days. We finished building our coop and the chicks have been trying to get out of the brooder and are very active and loud. I would love to move them out permanently. It is currently in the 60s-70s during the day and 30s-40s at night. The chicks are not fully feathered but are mostly there. They just need some more neck feathers. I would put the lamp on at night for them, would they be ok?
Six weeks is the recommended age to move your chicks out into the coop but if you have the heat lamp on, it should be fine for them to go out. Just make sure to check on them before you go to sleep to see if any slipped of the roost and need help back up. (Or put a box of straw underneath the perching spot in case they slip in the middle of the night.)
My chicks go out to the coop as soon as they can fly up onto the bars. They have a broody hen to keep them warm so I'm assuming your heat lamp set up will be similar.

@chickentrains, does that sound about right? Or would you wait to put them out in the coop

oh wow, somebody who thinks I might be useful? wow..

personally I would not put a heat lamp in the coop. Coops are wooden and if the heat lamp falls, you will have crispy chickens. They look feathered enough to be left in the coop overnight without any extra heat. They will huddle together if they get cold. 30's-40's isn't that cold to a chicken,

personally I would not put a heat lamp in the coop.
Of course it totally depends on your space. My coop is a proper building, not one of those dinky backyard things, and I attach my heat lamp to the ceiling with a chain, well away from any wood or straw. Still, I'm cognizant that putting a heat lamp out there is probably the biggest fire risk I ever have.

Of course it totally depends on your space. My coop is a proper building, not one of those dinky backyard things, and I attach my heat lamp to the ceiling with a chain, well away from any wood or straw. Still, I'm cognizant that putting a heat lamp out there is probably the biggest fire risk I ever have.

Yeah, It would be a fire risk for sure if it did fall, in any coop IMO. I wouldn't risk it, even with a chain and what not.

Have they spent any time in the coop or run yet? I had mine spend some days outside in the coop/run before having them spend the night out there, so they got used to the space. I also put a huddle box in the coop for them to sleep in, since mine aren't perching at night yet.

No to the heat lamp, yes to acclimating them to outdoor temps and then kicking them out. They're well old enough to be out without heat at those temperatures but because they haven't been exposed to cooler temperatures you need to do that first.

You can do a combo of: 1) opening up a window/door where their brooder is to let in some colder air 2) take them out during the day (and maybe part of the evening) for some playtime, and increase duration of time outside each day.

Back
Top Bottom