5 WK. OLD CHICK GAPING

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
This morining I saw one of my 5 wk. old chicks gaping!! I'm worried.
sad.png
They are still inside the house and are not under a heat lamp so I know it's not that she's hot. I opened her beak to look down her throat but I didn't see anything, although it's kind of hard to see down such a small beak.

Any advice??

You need to watch her for other symptoms! She may have some kind of infection going on... sometimes they don't give you much warning... If she keeps doing it I would separate her and keep a close eye on her - don't want to pass it on to others if it is something infectious! Try to see if she is eating and drinking and pooping normally... Is she energetic and acting like all the others?

Okay, it's been a week or so since starting this post. I haven't seen the chick do any gaping....until just now. It did it about 4 or 5 times and then stopped. If it's the start of something respitory, what would cause it to start? What should I do now?

Is it possible that something may be lodged in the trachea/throat? Perhaps this one is eating shavings and they are getting stuck? Any sneezing or watery eyes?

all of my first chicks I had back in Aug. and my new ones now all look at times like they are gaping. They open their beaks and look like they are choking/trying to get something down. They have always been fine, and just seemed to me like something that they all do. Hopefully someone can give you a good answer to why they do this.

It seems to be okay now. You know, I can remember that back on Nov. '07 when I got my first chickens (all adults) one was in the nest box and it did that a couple of times. Not ever having chickens before, I thought it was because she was going to lay an egg!!
lau.gif

If this chick continues to gape and I seperate her, what steps do I take after that?

Back
Top Bottom