5 wks or 7 wks for moving out

jessicafisher3

Hatching
Apr 29, 2015
Hey everyone... so I know the recommendation is 4-6 weeks to move to outdoor coop and run but I have a question. I will be going out of town during their week 6 for my little girls and week 7 for the bigger girls, I have someone who will be here looking after them but I want them settled before I go. So what is best...put them out at week 5 and maybe a heat lamp in the coop if it's cold, or they will just be fine, or should I keep them in the garage brooder till I get back and move them out when they are 7 & 8 weeks?

Thanks!

What's the weather going to be while your away? Maybe the coop but not the run? My brooder was in my sunroom and I was so happy to move them out of the house. My chicks have much more room in the coop.

What's the weather going to be while your away? Maybe the coop but not the run? My brooder was in my sunroom and I was so happy to move them out of the house. My chicks have much more room in the coop.

I'm guessing 70-80 during the day and probably low 50s at night by then, I'm in Portland Oregon area. I was planning to have my mother in law who will be taking care of my kids and dog just open the coop to enclosed run in the late morning and enclose them at night.

Will they need a heat lamp at night at that age? I was hoping to have them settled in their new home before I go

My chicks are almost 6 weeks old. Saturday it dropped down into the low 40's I brought them in an put the heat light on. Sunday wasn't as cold so I didn't put the light on but I did bring them in the sunroom has no heat on. Last night was their first night in the coop no heat but there was a full moon.

My chicks move to the coop with a heat lamp at about three weeks of age. The heat is in one corner of the 8'x10' coop, here in Michigan. They do fine, and as they feather out, the lamp is raised, and then a 175w bulb goes in, as they need less heat. By six weeks, they aren't paying much attention to the lamp, and are outside during the daytime, so the lamp goes out. It's a gradual process, weather dependent. Just watch their behavior to see what they need. Mary

We were told by our breeder to wait until 10-12 weeks, which was when they had their adult feathers. The fluff doesn't keep them warm. We started putting them out in the daytime in a small pen though, which helped with the mess.

We were told by our breeder to wait until 10-12 weeks, which was when they had their adult feathers. The fluff doesn't keep them warm. We started putting them out in the daytime in a small pen though, which helped with the mess.

What breed(s) were you keeping that were not feathered out until 12 weeks?

I like the idea of keeping them in the coop for a week or two before letting them out into the run. This way they equate the coop with "home". This may be the perfect time for you to do that. Maybe put a heat lamp in there during the evening if it will get chilly. Just be sure that the lamp is securely attached and not near anything that can catch fire.

This is exactly what I did with my chicks that are now only six weeks old. I moved them to the coop at 4 weeks and opened the run to them this weekend. They still only venture out for short periods of time to explore. I live in SC so the daytime temps are in the 80s and the nighttime only gets into the mid 60s right now. My chicks are nearly feathered out, though, too.

One last thought - Every flock, chicken, home, and setup is different, so you should do what you feel is right for you and your birds.

Thanks guys.... I just don't want to be worries while I'm away, I think I like the idea that they will be in their coop but not run for a week. I'll see what weather is like before we go.

Back
Top Bottom