5 year old hen with a swollen eye 😰 please help!!!

Diatomaceous Hi everyone! I noticed over a week ago one of my hens has a swollen under eye... I have been trying to treat it , but I have no idea what I am treating never seen it before. I have tried VetRx in her sinus opening inside and at the roof of her beak and I have put terramycin in her eye also antibiotics in her water... tried sprinkling food Grade Diatomaceous in corner of her eye... nothing seems to be working and her eye is getting worse. She has no other symptoms other then her eye. Has anyone on here seen this kind of thing. Thank you all in advance ❤😭View attachment 2023611
I have seen it but in my turkey not a chicken. Eye was swollen just like that with bubbles in the eyeball. This was several years ago. I cannot remember the exact amount but we looked it up on the internet and found a pist that said give him some water with Clorox in it, like 4 to 5 drops in a gallon . Remove him to a clean area or cage inside and also an additional cup of water with some antibiotic in it. It worked great. He got better and we named her bubbles! Good luck!

You might try and get Tylan (tylosin) powder for the water to treat only her for possible MG. MG can cause a sinus infection and that looks like swelling in the face or an eye. Here is a link for buying it online—dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water or 1/4 tsp per quart, for 5 days. Mix only by adding water to the powder, and make a new solution every 3 days. Here is the link:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

You might try and get Tylan (tylosin) powder for the water to treat only her for possible MG. MG can cause a sinus infection and that looks like swelling in the face or an eye. Here is a link for buying it online—dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water or 1/4 tsp per quart, for 5 days. Mix only by adding water to the powder, and make a new solution every 3 days. Here is the link:
Thank you this morning I went to Tractor supply and tried to get some Tylan and sales associate said they pulled the product.. and told me to drain it with a needle and went and got needle and syringe and I told her I didn’t know if I could do that and she said if you don’t she will lose her eye... so guess what I did it and guess what there is no puss it is a blood filled sac and now not being experienced with such thing I poked holes in her face... ugh only meant to do one hole , but me trying to restrain her by myself she jerked and the damn needle went all the way through so she probably will get secondary infection... ugh I feel so bad and she is so pissed at me and I don’t blame her she was trying to latch on to me for hurting her she has never... I am not cut poking it again.. I didn’t gain anything , but a angry chicken.. may have just lost the trust I gain with her realizing I was trying to help her. Ugh.. I think you are right got to be swollen sinus and I just made it worse poor girl... she is pecking mad!!! Thank you❤️

such thing I poked holes in her face... ugh only meant to do one hole , but me trying to restrain her by myself she jerked and the damn needle went all the way through so she probably will get secondary infection... ugh I feel so bad and she is so pissed at me and I don’t blame her
Don't beat yourself up... you were helping her, and she just doesn't understand. Not sure if antibiotic ointment on her skin will prevent secondary infection, but i'd coat where you poked her with some ointment just to be safe. She might be mad, but your plan of draining it was probably a better plan than her plan of doing nothing about it. She'll forgive you in due time treats. :hugs

Don't beat yourself up... you were helping her, and she just doesn't understand. Not sure if antibiotic ointment on her skin will prevent secondary infection, but i'd coat where you poked her with some ointment just to be safe. She might be mad, but your plan of draining it was probably a better plan than her plan of doing nothing about it. She'll forgive you in due time treats. :hugs

I can’t believe someone employed by a store would tell you to take a needle to her eye. It is good that her eye wasn’t punctured. Some have had to lance a swollen area of the face with a scalpel, but something like that should never be done without a helper keeping them still. Sorry about the bad experience. If you can get someone to hold her head still, could you shine a light up into the roof of her mouth/beak to see if there is any pus in the choanal slit? It is pictured below:

1581529027440.jpeg

I can’t believe someone employed by a store would tell you to take a needle to her eye. It is good that her eye wasn’t punctured. Some have had to lance a swollen area of the face with a scalpel, but something like that should never be done without a helper keeping them still. Sorry about the bad experience. If you can get someone to hold her head still, could you shine a light up into the roof of her mouth/beak to see if there is any pus in the choanal slit? It is pictured below:

View attachment 2024687
I definitely will check later this afternoon when my kids get home from school... maybe by then she will forget what a horrible mean person I am. Thank you Eggcessive ❤️

Back
Top Bottom