50% Humidity..too low??

1234duck

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Upper Lake, California
The humidity is mostly @ 50. It goes back n forth from 50-60. Temp. is 99. ~I have duck eggs in a LG Incubator, forced air, auto turner. Is the Humidity ok, or Too Low. (been in incubator for 12 Days) Thanks, Julie

"-First 25 days: 99.5-101 degrees and 50% - 55% humidity
Last 3 Days: Same Temp...70% humidity I always hand turn my waterfowl eggs, they do better that way for me as opposed to turners. I also lay them on their sides in a natural manner and never used trays.
I put a spray bottle in the incubator, this way the water is the same temp as the air and eggs, no shock to them. I also mist every time I turn from day one.
I do this for domestic and migratory species. Turning 2-3 times a day." quote from fellow BYC'er

do you have the vents open or closed?

Last edited:
I have 1 vent open & 1 vent closed. I candled last night and I really couldn't see any veins. I could see what looked like a texture of the inside of the shell.. Are the veins real clear? Thanks for the Fast response, Julie

If the eggs are fertile you should be able to see something at day 12. I am on my 2nd hatch and I could tell at day 3 if they were fertile. I kept them all in the bator till day 6 them took 2 of the 15 out. You should see a little red dot and veins. If you candle and just see a bright egg and the yolk inside then its not viable.

Julie, I just took some photos of my eggs for you. I am on day 7 of incubation.

eggs001-1.jpg

This is a frontal view, you can just see the veins and the dark bit where it says Elliot. (this egg is from the same duck as Elliot so I want to see what colour shekicks out this time)

eggs005-1.jpg

side view of where the duck will grow, thats the dark piece

eggs006.jpg

This is the egg I took out yesterday..see how clear it is and all you can see is the yolk.

I hope these photos help you

Those are great pix and a great guide. I like to see how others do this.
One day I may try incubating duck eggs again but for now I hope to get the ducks to do it. Of course, we all say that and wind up sticking eggs in the 'bator anyhow so in another month I may just have some in there.
clap.gif

Your photos will give me inspiration to candle at 7 days. I so seldom do it until day 18 with chicken eggs but I have a lot of darker eggs. I just have gotten slack with most egg candling.

Thanks for sharing!
frow.gif

Nadine. This is only my 2nd hatch and after the 1st hatch I promised myself I would take photos every day of the next (this)hatch so I could put up a post like they do in the chicken side. I forgot
th.gif
next lot I do, Im going to take photos..
I candle at day 3 and can tell if I have viable eggs or not but I dont take any out untill I can see a dramatic clear picture of fertile and none.. like in the photos.

Im with gofasterstripe. Your eggs might not be fertile.(thats a whole nother deal) LGs' can be unstable in all fairness.Pascopal can be blunt at times. Hovabators are what I use and like without spending alot Also temp holding steady is more important than humidity flucuating 10% Good pics for 1234duck to use. you are on the right track Julie I ALWAYS candle at 1 week then you know whether they are fertile . Darker eggs ARE a little trickier.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom