Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rammy, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ouch that sucks [​IMG] guess no more free ranging while you run errands huh? Can you cover the roof of the chickens section?

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    WLH = white leghorn? If there is any trouble to find, they will generally find it. Clip one wing.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'm sorry about your chicken. Sounds like you were trying to keep them separated. The chicken could just as easily have gone over that fence when you were home as when you weren't. They're not necessarily too bright, and certainly not capable of thinking things through. "Hmmm, if I fly over this fence, what will happen? I don't think that nice doggy will do anything to me...." Their little chicken brains just don't work that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011
  5. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    I have done so many things regarding chickens that it is insane. And I have cried FOR DAYS over chickens that got killed through my lack of foresight. Multiple times. Sometimes things just have to happen for us to think about them next time.

Example: Like my coop for the longest had no bottom bar under the door, just a crack about 2 inches wide. Then one morning I opened the door to find 2 dead chickens and a headless turkey. So now I know that there has to be no cracks.

You had no way of knowing the chicken was going to "fly into the jaws of death". And you were only gone a few minutes. I am so sorry for your loss.

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    they'reHISchickens :

WLH = white leghorn? If there is any trouble to find, they will generally find it. Clip one wing.

x2 I just came back in from clipping my 2 WLH's wings. They flew the coop this morning over a 6 foot fence, and then squeezed through the fence around our yard into the neighbors yard where there are 2 labs. I'm cleaning out the meaties tractor tomorrow to keep them in until they are big enough they can't squeeze through the fence. Am considering putting them on craigslist, maybe I can find someone who wants to trade them for 2 less troublesome chicks.
    Sorry about your loss.​

7. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I am so sorry for your loss. I think that is the risk we all run with free ranging our birds. A hawk could have just as easily gotten your chicken. When I put my girls out the other day, I thought about the hawks that sometime hang around. Free ranging is good for our birds, but sometimes it has dangerous consequences. Don't beat yourself up over it. We are all here to help each other.
    Cheers, Melissa

8. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I am sorry for your loss, it must of been a really harsh pill to swallow, I have dogs too and my kids spooked the chickens the other day, well 3 of them ran right towards the dog pen, that scared me, but luckily I was able to get in front of them and scare them back into their covered run, I refused to let them free range again for the rest of the day after that, lol. Do you have any other pullets to keep the other one company? if not you might be able to find it a friend on craiglists or from someone around you that has chickens?? but please do not forget to quaranteen for at least 2 weeks. good luck.

Ema

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This thread has been moderated after multiple reports. From the guidelines for this forum:

If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.
    *Compassion will go a long way toward helping to educate and help solve someone's predator problem. No matter the reason, most members' birds are their pets and being a chicken doesn't make it less of a pet than a house cat or companion dog. Please don't lecture or hassle anyone about their losses. Glass houses......

If you see a post that breaks a rule, please report it rather than replying in the thread.​

10. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by