55 gallon drum coops

Status
Not open for further replies.
big_smile.png
Canned Chicken!!!
lol.png

I wouldn't use these for full time, but they would work great for laying cages for me. I run several breeds of hens together with RIR roos - barred rock, delaware, RIR, and sexlinks - and when I want a specific type of eggs (black stars, red stars, etc.) I cage my girls for a day or two until I have enough eggs. I think, however, I would put 2x4 uprights between each barrel set so I could hinge separate doors for each barrel. Of course, we can't see the back, so that might be how it's done. I like the durability and cleanability of the pvc. Change bedding between hens, wipe out with a bleach or peroxide cloth, and dust very lightly with DE, and voila, treated for disease and parasites.

Oh, and I would also put on a much larger overhanging roof to prevent rain blowing into the barrels. Also, I'd tap a few drain holes in the bottoms just in case.

Barrels are too big for nest boxes, and please dont tell me those birds just stay in there all the time????

OK so maybe it's not such a good idea so what do you have your serma and oegb in???? Looking for ideas before I biuld..
hu.gif

i would not have them in those barrel not in a hot florida sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
i would made a lentoo [?]

my hen would be noise if i do not let them out of the coop in the morning.

I've had MANY of those barrels. Depending on what was in them, some stink of chemicals for a long, long time.
Wood is cheap. Wood is easy to work with. Wood has natural smells that don't harm chickens. Wood. Wood. Wood.

Quote:
Really those barrels are food grade so I am not sure what chemicals you might be talking about..
idunno.gif
I would be getting mine from a bakery that has flour in them.. So I know what has been stored in them..
Also my birds will be inside a shed in these I will not be keeping them penned in all day.Or out side..And they will defenitly have a run.. But these lil sermas are soooo Small .. I just thought this would be a great idea for a safe sleeping inviroment for small birds not like I am puttin a full size bird in them..
Also my property is completly shaded in florida so I dont worry much about the heat,
20413_pc281508.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom