55 gallon drum coops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freckle Face Farm

Songster
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
Florida
I was wondering if any of you have tried this..
20413_dcp_0290small.jpg

And if so what would you change or keep..
And please feel free to post some pics. I would love to get some ideas.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Those are really nice, large nest boxes. But full time containment of the chickens like that? They don't get out into a run, to scratch, or dust bathe, or hunt for bugs or flap their wings and run around all silly?

They can't march around in small groups of BFFs to investigate the run together?

Interesting. But not my cup of tea. Thank you for posting that photo, it gives me something to noodle over and perhaps adjust rather a great deal for an "infirmary" set up, or maybe even for broody hens, but not for full time coopage. It is certainly something interesting.

Last edited:
Used a lot of those barrels for feed, but never for a chicken. How do you clean them? Do they have individual doors?
Might work for a hopital cage type set up or maybe a broody, but not anything I think would work for me.
Interesting though.
idunno.gif

At the COST of those barrels around HERE, it's just not an economical alternative. And I do think it has "limited possibilities".
Those barrels sell for $15 to $20 each around here. That would buy a fair amount of lumber....especially "scrap lumber".

just my 2 pesos worth,
-Junkmanme-

Oh! This is a great idea for me if I need to introduce a new chicken to the flock....or if a hen needs "isolation" for brooding. They maintain constant contact with their flock without being pestered!

Hmmmmm....there is potential with this. I don't think I would keep chickens this way as a rule...but it certainly may have some good uses!

Quote:
Wow we have a place that sells them for 5.00 each 15.00 to 20.00 stinks. I thought for semas and oegbs this would be perfect..

As nestboxes, they would be nice big almost community-box size things, although if I had the spare 55-gal drums I would use them for other things since nestboxes are so easy to scrounge/make.

However that looks like a battery-hen setup. Sixty-five thumbs down from me, although of course there is no law against other people having their own standards of appropriate animal care.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom