Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sonia, May 21, 2008.

1. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I just used a small dish with stones (I didn't have any marbles so I used tumbled stone, washed of course) they did walk all over it, but what can you do. It kept them from drowning [​IMG] As far as pooping and getting other stuff in the water... I still haven't been able to completely solve that one!

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Please be careful, I had a chick drown, unbelievable, in 1/2 inch of water in a pie pan. Get the chick waterer, it only costs like $1.50.

You can also fill the shallow dish full of rocks/pebbles. That way, their beaks can get water between the cracks, but they cannot stand in the water.

4. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  5. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    In the Learning Center at the top of the page there is a article on how to make a waterer out of a 5 gallon bucket. You could down size it and make one for free. Any plastic container that would fit in a small bowl with a small space around the edge would work fine. Just drill a hole in the top of the container, fill and turn upside down in the bowl. I made the 5 gallon waterer for my run and it works great and lasts a few days. John

Last edited: May 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by