5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

When using CLs to create sexlinks the autosexing trait is gone and you go by color to distinguish male from female. When I use my CL to create sexlinks I cross my CL roo to Silver Laced Wyandottes and Silver Laced Cochin. The result is ALL chicks are chipmunk pattern but the females are reddish faced and the males are yellowish faced.

But different breeds create different sexlink traits.

Yes! These will go more with the Crele Pene colors.

2nd to pip, 1st to zip is out. Can't see her well, she's behind the water resevior. Silkie? Showgirl?
1st to pip, starting to zip.
wee.gif

The other 8, nothing yet. Of course, the d'uccles and phoenix.

of course the pretty birds don't pip.....LOL. I hope you have good luck with them! thinking bout you!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:

I let her mess with the new version and test it to the best of her evil brooder hacking abilities, under supervision. At one point, she was chewing on the wire, and jumping from the window sill onto it. She eventually gave up in frustration. This cat can open doors, so I can't guarantee shutting her out of a room.

In her defense, she's a cat.
In retrospect, I was pretty stupid to use window screening in the first version. I knew she has ripped out window screens before.
he.gif
Fortunately, fate was kind and spared George from my stupidity. But, the sliding screen was so cool and nifty. Oh, well. Sturdy beats nifty in this instance. Send out some hatching thoughts for siblings for George and the other singletons.
The wire keeps mine out of the Brooder. Nice looking kitty!

beautiful chicks ron!

do you sell that breed?
I will be this year. Hatching eggs for shipping and chicks locally.

I woke up this morning with 3 eggs pipped, and hubby had to drag me away from the incubator into the car to go and spend New Year's Day with my family. I came home this evening and these two were waiting for me! They are Red Sex link cross Silkie. The reddish one in the front has feathered yellow legs and 5 toes, and the one in the back has fluffy white down and yellow clean legs with 5 toes :)

I took them out due to limited space in the incubator but kept the humidity up by misting :) There is another RSLxSilkie egg pipped, and one of the RIR eggs too!

2nd to pip, 1st to zip is out. Can't see her well, she's behind the water resevior. Silkie? Showgirl?
1st to pip, starting to zip.
wee.gif

The other 8, nothing yet. Of course, the d'uccles and phoenix.
So envious! I still am sittin' the same as I have been all day
hit.gif
There's peeping coming from all the eggs, but no more pips, no zips.

Congrats on your chickies! When you gonna show us the little darlings??

I would probably start taking the shell off.... be careful not to break the membrane, it will bleed.  Read the article posted above.  Good luck!

I moistened the membrane and gave her some air. she's on amoist towel now resting and I candled the other egg and I'm pretty sure I saw it pip internally. so we are leaving them with increased humidity. it's only 2 hours after 21 days so it will be okay!
I'll get pics soon! my boyfriend is showing them how to eat and drink and we are also showing my jack russell that they are pets not food lol.

So envious! I still am sittin' the same as I have been all day
hit.gif
There's peeping coming from all the eggs, but no more pips, no zips.

Congrats on your chickies! When you gonna show us the little darlings??

The first pip, is zipping now. 8+ hours later.

Earlier, I had put my kindle by the incubator and started playing Ron's live cam then switch to youtube. And the below chick started moving and zipping.
She finally came out of hiding...a Silkie.

Back
Top Bottom