5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I think I have a fail - the chick that was pipping and zipping in the pretty green egg suddenly turned and started zipping down the side of the shell, and the next time I looked there was yolk dripping out of the shell and it was trying to breathe but the shell is filled with liquid. I opened up one side so it could get air, but it looks bad, yolk and what appears to be something that should be inside is outside. I think I will have to remove and cull. The one that was pipping at the wrong end, as long as I had the lid lifted I put on clean gloves, picked of a couple bits of shell and saw blood so I stopped, put it back in sideways so it was more correctly oriented. I think that one might be okay, fingers crossed, but the other one I'm almost certain is dying anyway and I think I should remove it from the hatcher.

Oh Pozees, I am so sorry to hear this.
sad.png

I really believe that when those eggs were sent during that real cold spell thruoghout out our country, messed up a lot of eggs.  If they got there on time, but were cold..not good.  I had a nice bunch from DMRippy, but only ended up with 6 for lock down.  Those eggs were very very cold when they came.  Had to toss a lot by day 10.
Dmrippy is a great lady, super patient and sweet! Not only were my eggs sent during the cold snap, but they were lost for 8 days! I'm lucky any developed and hope a couple hatch!

Had to put the 1st chick in the brooder as he was pecking on the newbie - who has decided that, "I shall not stand or even try." GAH! That said, I checked the remaining 3 eggs - 2 are possible (no movement, but who knows) and the other was obviously a no-go (looked like a snow globe).
he.gif

Dmrippy is a great lady, super patient and sweet! Not only were my eggs sent during the cold snap, but they were lost for 8 days! I'm lucky any developed and hope a couple hatch!

Yes, I did get a few. One boy, one girl Rhodebar, and one real pretty blue Marans.

Oh my goodness, this has got to be the longest day ever! Ugh! Nothing but occasional rocking from my 7...how BORING!!! I keep checking, like every 30 minutes, and not peeps, no pips, no zips, nada! I'm worried about one of the eggs...haven't seen it rock all day...never moved that much when I candled before lockdown, either. If I have any that don't make it...and I pray that I don't...it's gonna be that one, I'm sure.

Rock, rock, rock...come ON chickies...gimmie sumthin' good! Talk to me!

Frozen eggs work.  Just scramble it.  Either eat it, or give it back to your chickens..dog or cat..  The chickens would like extra protein during this cold.
Nice egg!   First eggs..fun! Even after you've gotten a few through the years you get excited, for example, I myself, just got a new egg layer today.  Makes my third to start during the winter.   :)

okay! thanks :D yeah today is exciting!

a bit of everything I have a various variety of chickens and I have two cockrels so a bit of a gamble at the minute I heard day 7 is the best and my partner said to wait but im to excited! I have two ducks and I cannot wait to get thir eggs in the incubator either!i think im addicted already and I haven't even had apossitive outcome yet oh dear good job were on a farm I think
Yes it is good that you are on a farm. Will you process the Cockerels?

I think I have a fail - the chick that was pipping and zipping in the pretty green egg suddenly turned and started zipping down the side of the shell, and the next time I looked there was yolk dripping out of the shell and it was trying to breathe but the shell is filled with liquid. I opened up one side so it could get air, but it looks bad, yolk and what appears to be something that should be inside is outside. I think I will have to remove and cull. The one that was pipping at the wrong end, as long as I had the lid lifted I put on clean gloves, picked of a couple bits of shell and saw blood so I stopped, put it back in sideways so it was more correctly oriented. I think that one might be okay, fingers crossed, but the other one I'm almost certain is dying anyway and I think I should remove it from the hatcher.
Oh no!

Are you culling for vigor as a breeder? This sounds more like an incubation problem and not a vigor problem. You might want to try the tea cup for a day first.

I did hatch for a local breeder the last two years and I was not supposed to help and cull weak ones. I hope this years hatch will have more Vigor....

Oh my goodness, this has got to be the longest day ever! Ugh! Nothing but occasional rocking from my 7...how BORING!!! I keep checking, like every 30 minutes, and not peeps, no pips, no zips, nada! I'm worried about one of the eggs...haven't seen it rock all day...never moved that much when I candled before lockdown, either. If I have any that don't make it...and I pray that I don't...it's gonna be that one, I'm sure.

Rock, rock, rock...come ON chickies...gimmie sumthin' good! Talk to me!

Ooo, you may be the one to get the first chick to hatch on New Years Day..ha, you won't be able to leave that bator once you get a pip...before midnight. Oh Wait, you aren't leaving the bator much are you now?
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom