5th chick dying in my hands right now - help!

One could try treating aspergillosis with something like fluconazole or ketoconazole.

-Kathy
I believe I would need a prescription for those and no vets here will see chickens. I called all of them in a 100 mile radius that I could find. The other vet is actually the pathologist and I am not sure he would prescribe without proof of what it was - which so far is illusive. But yes, he did a culture and still said it was inconclusive. And by then the samples were old and I ran out of money ($55 per bird for another culture, plus overnight shipping, plus the necropsy fees). At this point I am down to thinking I might as well just aim my money at solutions - even a broken watch is right twice a day right? Eventually something is going to work - or nothing is. But at this point I can't see spending more money for "inconclusive results". If they couldn't figure it out with 8 birds in front of them - what difference will 10 or even 20 make? (In case it sounds like I have a snarky tone - please know I don't - I am getting frustrated but not at anyone here.) I appreciate all the help. I had to put down my Collonca this morning. He gave up eating :( The Denagard arrived today and I will try it in the morning. I have read that if it is going to help you should see significant results within 48 hours. So here is hoping. Meanwhile I have also ordered Oxine and a cool air humidifier to use in the coop . We are due to have temps back up in the high 50s and 60s over the next week so I should be safe to use it as soon as it arrives. I think even if the Denagard does the trick I will use it anyway just to play it safe. I will also use it to thoroughly sanitize the coop (with the chickens locked out of course).

Fingers crossed the dying is nearly over. :fl And, chemo starts on Thursday for hubby so I need some good news.

I believe I would need a prescription for those and no vets here will see chickens. I called all of them in a 100 mile radius that I could find. The other vet is actually the pathologist and I am not sure he would prescribe without proof of what it was - which so far is illusive. But yes, he did a culture and still said it was inconclusive. And by then the samples were old and I ran out of money ($55 per bird for another culture, plus overnight shipping, plus the necropsy fees). At this point I am down to thinking I might as well just aim my money at solutions - even a broken watch is right twice a day right? Eventually something is going to work - or nothing is. But at this point I can't see spending more money for "inconclusive results". If they couldn't figure it out with 8 birds in front of them - what difference will 10 or even 20 make? (In case it sounds like I have a snarky tone - please know I don't - I am getting frustrated but not at anyone here.) I appreciate all the help. I had to put down my Collonca this morning. He gave up eating
sad.png
The Denagard arrived today and I will try it in the morning. I have read that if it is going to help you should see significant results within 48 hours. So here is hoping. Meanwhile I have also ordered Oxine and a cool air humidifier to use in the coop . We are due to have temps back up in the high 50s and 60s over the next week so I should be safe to use it as soon as it arrives. I think even if the Denagard does the trick I will use it anyway just to play it safe. I will also use it to thoroughly sanitize the coop (with the chickens locked out of course).

Fingers crossed the dying is nearly over.
fl.gif
And, chemo starts on Thursday for hubby so I need some good news.

Nope, *anyone* that lives in the US can get fluconazole and/or ketoconazole *without* a prescription. No need to call a vet for it, just buy it if you want to have it, that's what I did.

Fluconazole link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUATIC-FLU...697?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd04dd1e9

Ketoconazole link:
http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/inde...ketoconazole-fish-fungus-fish-antibiotic.html

Hope your hubby gets better.

-Kathy

So sorry at all the loses. Please keep us updated and we'll all keep you in our prayers for your poor flock and especially your Hubby. Not a great way to start a new year... Keep the chin up and we'll root for you with the Man upstairs!!!

hugs.gif
Susie Q

I am so sorry for your losses and husband's illness.

I was reading your thread from beginning, that is really awful.
And thinking of your environment and your flocks slowly dies especially a lot from your youngesters which makes me think that is from your ground ( dirt).

They may have been suffered from necrotizing enteritis.
Treatment : Clostridium perfringens (Lincomycin ) and coccidiosis ( corrid) that you have been treating for them.

Your ground ( dirt) also needed to be treated as Clostridium perfringens.

I may be wrong.. That is a thought.

Last edited:
Took hubby to his first day of chemo today. We were there from 9:30am till 5 pm. Looong day. He is doing Ok so far - wicked case of the hiccups, indigestion, some facial flushing, twitchiness and sleepy. But nothing major yet.

On the chicken front: Its been drizzling for days, and although I have the Denagard in the water I suspect they are finding rain water to drink as well. And of course if the issue is a fungus, well this isn't helping. So far no noticeable change in the chickens from the Denagard. Waiting for the Oxine to come so I can give that a shot. Sadly when we came home today my sweet little cross beak chick was gone - guessing a hawk.

RIP Loca Underfoot - spunkiest chick in the world. :hit She will truly be missed.

I lost a bunch chickens this past spring. I also lost 4 small Boston Terriers to Coyotes and a husband 15yrs ago to a car accident. Today I have 10 hens, a husband of 10 yrs and 9yr old twin girls. Loss seems a part of life but it's hard as hell and I'm so sorry. Keep faith, it really does help that God has a plan. Illness CAN Be Cured! These days it seems Doctors can do it all.... Prayers and happy thoughts are with you!!! From all of us. We want the best for all our New Best Friends!!! Keep us updated! Tell Hubby we want him Well... And God takes all little (bitty) souls home when He needs them... by a lone shot, Your not alone.....

Vitamins, good jokes & memories and happy thoughts for Hubby are what he needs. We'll all pray for the rest.... Gobs of Hugs... Susie Q
hugs.gif

I lost a bunch chickens this past spring. I also lost 4 small Boston Terriers to Coyotes and a husband 15yrs ago to a car accident. Today I have 10 hens, a husband of 10 yrs and 9yr old twin girls.   Loss seems a part of life but it's hard as hell and I'm so sorry. Keep faith, it really does help that God has a plan.  Illness CAN Be Cured! These days it seems Doctors can do it all....  Prayers and happy thoughts are with you!!!  From all of us.  We want the best for all our New Best Friends!!!  Keep us updated!  Tell Hubby we want him Well... And God takes all little (bitty) souls home when He needs them...  by a lone shot, Your not alone.....

Vitamins, good jokes & memories and happy thoughts for Hubby are what he needs.  We'll all pray for the rest....  Gobs of Hugs...  Susie Q  :hugs
Thank you :hugs

Back
Top Bottom