5wks old...my gut tells me roo

honeyb711

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2016
QLD Australia
I know it's still early, probably even more so with silkies, but I also believe that as much as I hope this little one is a hen...he is not 🙃

I have looked for the 'signs' to watch for in hens...such as...

*This chick won't come anywhere near me VS rooster chicks being more confident
*This chicks tail feathers grew in very early VS taking longer with rooster chicks

BUT my gut still tells me it's a boy...which may or may not mean a damn thing, because I would swear one of my silkie hens is a rooster if only she didn't lay eggs 🙃

Attachments

• IMG_20240422_095705.jpg
    IMG_20240422_095705.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
The comb is quite large for a pullet at this age. Time will tell as silkies take a long time to mature compared to other breeds.
Yes, I thought the same thing when it started becoming more obvious about a week ago. As it a single chick though, I really have nothing to compare it too besides pics....& as I said, even the adult silkies confuse me at times! Such a tricky breed 😬

I know it's still early, probably even more so with silkies, but I also believe that as much as I hope this little one is a hen...he is not 🙃

I have looked for the 'signs' to watch for in hens...such as...

*This chick won't come anywhere near me VS rooster chicks being more confident
*This chicks tail feathers grew in very early VS taking longer with rooster chicks

BUT my gut still tells me it's a boy...which may or may not mean a damn thing, because I would swear one of my silkie hens is a rooster if only she didn't lay eggs 🙃
Are the head feathers altogether rounded on the crown? Usually a pullet.
If there's the same as the pullet except there are noticeably longer feathers towards the back of its otherwise smooth puff. Probably a little roo.
Best to you!

Are the head feathers altogether rounded on the crown? Usually a pullet.
If there's the same as the pullet except there are noticeably longer feathers towards the back of its otherwise smooth puff. Probably a little roo.
Best to you!
Head feathers are actually the tidiest feathers on this scruffy little thing 😅 All still quiet even & forming that rounded puff, while tail & wing feathers are wild & all over the place.
Roo. He just stands like one! I miss my silkies!
Definitely stands very confident & tall when interested in something....like the treats in my hand 😜 But also runs straight to hide under Mum the moment anything moves 😅

Regardless of whether a hen or not, I have loved watching it grow & learn, & will definitely let Mum hatch again.

6weeks old now....still waiting...still hoping.

While our comb hasn't grown anymore, our head feathers are not as tidy as they were & are now forming quiet the mohawk 😬

Attachments

• IMG20240429095631.jpg
    IMG20240429095631.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 14
Could you get more photos of the comb? It is a bit too early to be 100% sure on the gender as silkies mature very very slow.
Yes, I know they are the worst to even try sexing yet, I swear it changes so much day to day that one day I'm certain it's a girl, the next I'm convinced I have to say goodbye because it's a boy.

The comb came up quiet quickly about 4wks old, but hasn't changed any in the last 2wks.

This chick has me all kinds of sad 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20240429_111220.jpg
    IMG_20240429_111220.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom