5yr old hen, retaining liquid in the breast area.

nicollee

Songster
7 Years
Aug 29, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
asking for help...
one of my "older hens" about 5yrs, up till last week was laying about 3 eggs a week. Yesterday she was top girl during treat time, but....
This am, she would not get down off the roost, when we picked her up, she had a dirty vent :sick, and did not want to be active. We cleaned her up and gave her an epsom salt bath. During the bath we noticed her breast area is swollen, and feels like she is retaining liquid. (Not in the abdomen like ascites)
Any suggestions?
This am I separated her into a smaller coop, and this evening, she is still lethargic, and her vent is dirty again.:sick

Last edited:
I wonder if it is her crop that you are feeling? This is the pouch on the right side of their upper chest where they store food. Depending on what and when they have eaten and drank, it can feel solid or like a bean bag or like putty or fluid filled.
Below is a diagram which shows the anatomical layout of a female chicken's organs and indicates the location of the crop for your information.
chicken_anatomy_eng_small.gif

Has she been drinking excessively? Have you seen her eat? Is she interested in food at all? Try offering her a little scrambled egg?
Poopy butt can have a number of causes but reproductive problems are a common cause. Does she have any swelling/fullness just below or around her vent? Are you saying that she hasn't laid any eggs since last week but she was a regular 3 eggs a week girl prior to that? What does her comb look like?

I'm so sorry!
I was just reading this thread because I've got a hen who seems to have water belly. I don't know what to do for her. I'm really worried.

I'm so sorry!
I was just reading this thread because I've got a hen who seems to have water belly. I don't know what to do for her. I'm really worried.
We had a hen with water belly... There are Lots of good videos on how to drain her...... Go to your local feed store and buy syringes, have a small kennel, or chicken hospital set up.... It's nerve wracking the first time you drain them, but they usually are good about it and feel much better within a few days.... easier to do with one person holding and one person poking...

Back
Top Bottom