6 3/4 yr old pekin duck with warm/swollen joints

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
my 6+ yo female pekin duck has been limping for awhile(left lg) and her joints appeared OK but noticed today joints are now warm/swollen. she is lightweight(I do not overfeed) and eats/drinks/poops good and will now look up such issues on internet but wanted to post here first. $ is huge issue and don't want to kill her unless she is truely miserable. any thoughts?

she is kept with an adult male pekin and the only time he mounts her is in their shallow kiddie pool(maybe 1 x a day) that I have noticed so I can keep her in their pen seperated for awhile but I would wonder if floating her in a deeper pool(I have a 2' tall3' wide water trough)would possibly sooth her(may not help but don't think it would hurt?) they are both fed dumor layer crumbles and wonder if its too "rich' for them now that they're older? senior duck food? they free range from sun up to down and there are no other fowl to harrass her(my old layers used to fight with her occassionally)

OK-so I look up rickets in ducks and it,of course, mentions calcium deficiency but also mentioned rickets could result from too MUCH calcium. I remembered that appx. 8 months ago she started laying eggs again after a long not laying period(which worried me) anyhoo-the eggs were VERY small and i was concerned with her calcium so stated throwing a touch of the bagged calcium stuff from TSC in her feed and now I am worried I have overdone it. haven't noticed her having new eggs in a few weeks so? underdone? can't tell much without blood sample and can't do that now. poor J Lo.

I have used Dumore laying pellets for my ducks. They seemed to have liked it.

So you think you overdosed them on calcium with the extra additives? Oh well.

You already know what to do, so I have no suggestions other than going back to the pellets only feed.

Back
Top Bottom