6-8 week old goose issues

KatM41

Chirping
Sep 19, 2018
Goodmorning Folks,

I have a goose that's my bantam birds buddy. She has a place to hang out in water if she wants and she's on feed (which was recently changed and I think she hates it)

She also had a good swim around the pond, which I'm not a fan of because I'm not sure how clean this all is. Recently she stopped peeping, seems tired, stays in her water bowl most of the day, a little shaky on her legs. Also the orange around her eyes (she's a toulouse) has disappeared and is gray again. Her legs seem a little scrawny and so does her neck even though her feathers are coming in nicely and she has the typical roundish body of a goose.

Also, I live in South east texas. She's been penned up with the chickens waiting for everyone to get big enough to free range. Can heat cause this? Is she sad because she wants another goose buddy? I don't think it's worms since all my other chickens are fine. She does not have access to fresh grass and the few times she's tried to eat it she couldn't grab it, so I don't even understand when they are big enough to eat grass.

I thought I did a ton of research before getting the goose but now I"m feeling a little lost. I have brought her inside and she's drinking water like crazy but won't touch the chick starter I put her back on. I tried wetting her food, no cares to eat it.I think that's all the symptoms I've noticed. If there's anything that stands out I'd really appreciate it.

Changing a feed brand will do it. All changes need to be gradual. Put it back on the previous feed to see if it eats. Are you offering it greens? Chopped grass, lettuce, or dandelion greens?

I tried to offer grass she rejected it but I left it there. The chickens went ahead and ate it. LOL I've given her hay because it won't break down as fast as grass but nope, chickens ate that too.

I could accept the diet issue. I think I might try DE also just a smidge in case she picked up something in the pond. Should I keep her food wet? She isn't on Water fowl feed. I'm bothered by the fish meal as I read Geese don't really eat fish.

I offer mine a dry flock raiser. Mine eats loads of chopped grass. Geese are mostly grazers, so a ration is supposed to be a supplement. Can you put it outside on the grass so it can pick it's own?

I am novice, this is my first season with geese. I am trying to switch feed too but mine aren't too interested in it so it will take me a bit to change them over. Do you have dandelion greens? Snip them up into bite size pieces.

Do you offer grit?

I'm not sure if I'd let it in the pond yet as it's still developing immunity to stuff.

Hopefully someone more experienced can help.

I offer mine a dry flock raiser. Mine eats loads of chopped grass. Geese are mostly grazers, so a ration is supposed to be a supplement. Can you put it outside on the grass so it can pick it's own?

I am novice, this is my first season with geese. I am trying to switch feed too but mine aren't too interested in it so it will take me a bit to change them over. Do you have dandelion greens? Snip them up into bite size pieces.

Do you offer grit?

I'm not sure if I'd let it in the pond yet as it's still developing immunity to stuff.

Hopefully someone more experienced can help.

I like your ideas and it seems as though there is an agreeance that maybe it's diet. Think I'm going to make a bigger effort to keep her on her feed but add in some greens. We are novice also. I thought it would be similar to ducks, but my goose is way easier and way more sweet.

Mine devoured their chopped greens in minutes. I agree with switch back to her previous feed then gradually mixing in the new. All flock is also good for your mixed flock. Since she is now switched to chick starter, is it medicated? Some people say that can be an issue. Have you tried adding brewers yeast to see if it’s a niacin issue? Good luck

Thanks for the advice folks. I think she had coccidiosis. Our sweet baby passed away. I gave her the medicine too late and I think she had gone too long without eating. We had tried so many different things but it was no use. I should have reached for the corid first. We've put water fowl on hold til we can lock down the pond.

We lost our gander last summer. Sounds about the same but was a few months older than yours. I noticed something wasn't right only 3 days before he passed. Then he would only stay in the creek and float. We had a lot of heavy rains snd wasn't sure if he got bacteria or what. Our other 13 geese at the time were fine. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom