6 day old chicks and a bully already!? please help!

Thanks, Blooie. Chicken behavior has always fascinated me. Early on, I had two problem cockerels, and I learned about behavior modification from a chicken psychologist in Olympia, Washington. With careful tutoring from him, I was able to turn a hopelessly neurotic and fearful cockerel and a vicious little biting cockerel into two tame, calm, well adjusted, and well behaved roosters that were a delight to have around. So I know and understand what's possible with chickens.

Thanks, Blooie. Chicken behavior has always fascinated me. Early on, I had two problem cockerels, and I learned about behavior modification from a chicken psychologist in Olympia, Washington. With careful tutoring from him, I was able to turn a hopelessly neurotic and fearful cockerel and a vicious little biting cockerel into two tame, calm, well adjusted, and well behaved roosters that were a delight to have around. So I know and understand what's possible with chickens.

Do you have a few key points that may be useful for first time rooster owners? On another thread yesterday we could have done with some constructive input. If you can, please post here and i will forward it to the relevant post.
Many thanks in advance
CT

It's absolutely possible to discipline a baby chick. I've had a great deal of success doing this.

When a chick is engaging in undesirable behavior I give it a sharp poke on the back each and every time I see the behavior. It helps to devote some time and attention to this as the more often the chick gets an unpleasant poke for its behavior the quicker the behavior will change.

This simple form of aversion therapy works with older chickens, too, but I've seen it work much more quickly when applied to baby chicks.

And by the way, this behavior is much, much more typical of little cockerels than little pullets, from my past experience.

Great advice! Thanks! Not the news I wanted to hear as far as the sex goes though. Im trying to hold out hope but it is not looking good.

Back
Top Bottom