1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 days old and roosting already

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sharol, May 8, 2011.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I bought my EE's and a Buff Orp on Wednesday. They were hatched on Monday. Yesterday I put a little roost in the brooder (it is about 4" off the ground).

[​IMG]
    These are the girls. The Buff is on the left side.

I just went out to the brooder (they were awfully quiet). It was nap time, and my chipmunky little chick was sleeping on the roost.
    [​IMG]

When I went back to last years' pictures, I found a picture of my Golden Campine roosting at 9 days. But 6 days? The yellow EE flew a few inches yesterday, too. I think I may have bought a group of athletes.

2. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    My Silkie X was roosting at one week and flying almost too despite no feathers to speak of. My bigger chicks are still learning to roost and flap about so I was shocked also.

3. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    2 of my EE were roosting after 2 days and they are about 9 days now and they all roost (EE, silkies, BO).

4. C&E_NaturalMeats

C&E_NaturalMeats Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Illinois
    One of my chicks was roosting the day I got them. The second day she was even putting her lil head in her wing and sleeping sound away on the roost. Blew my mind. I've had them a little over a week now. They are just now starting to get their tail feathers so I know that they were not but a couple days old when I got them.

5. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I was told pullets will roost sooner than roos. From my limited chick experience I think it is true. We have week old pullets and they have been roosting already. Our last batch the three who were slow turned out to be roos. Not sure if it's really true or not.

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    All 5 of mine are sprouting tailfeathers and wing feathers. The hatchery said they were hatched on Monday, but maybe not. though my last year's bunch was doing the same thing at about a week. I can't believe how fast these little rascals mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by