6 ducks just gone and the rest injured? Please help solve duck mystery

Mandikylie26

Hatching
Apr 23, 2020
We had a flock of 14 ducks who always stay very tight together right around the property.
I let them out at 8am all is normal and came back out about an hour and a half later and there are only 7 left all looking traumatized, 2 with open wounds that look to be teeth or scratches and bleeding a bit. Fast forward to that night at dusk and one more duck hardly able to stand comes crying down the hill slowly to return to the flock. I couldn’t believe my eyes it had stumbled home so hurt hours later. Has a severely hurt foot and wing and more wound marks all along the neck and head. My family and I have scoured the property for the last two days with no sign of a fight or feathers anywhere. What could have grabbed 7 ducks at once in such a short time with no sign of anything anywhere? We live in a wooded area and heard coyotes that night and that’s what I want to think it is? But wouldn’t they of left behind feathers and could a pack of grabbed that many? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• C9EF9F0F-73FF-4A92-BCAD-261D37244000.jpeg
    C9EF9F0F-73FF-4A92-BCAD-261D37244000.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 16
  • AF42145D-B7A4-4E14-A47F-77EBD225A21F.png
    AF42145D-B7A4-4E14-A47F-77EBD225A21F.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
Maybe someone else could chime in, but did you see any tracks on the ground? A lot to be missing at one time, and wondering if you have a pack of dogs that may have come in together and nabbed them. I am on mobile and can’t see where you are located to chime in on any other predators. So very sorry for your loss, friend.

Maybe someone else could chime in, but did you see any tracks on the ground? A lot to be missing at one time, and wondering if you have a pack of dogs that may have come in together and nabbed them. I am on mobile and can’t see where you are located to chime in on any other predators. So very sorry for your loss, friend.

We are in Washington state close to Portland OR border. No tracks no feathers nothing. We are going on three days looking for any evidence. Thank you so much

I'm sorry for your loss! I second dog pack, I've never seen coyotes hunt in anything more than pairs with maybe older pups, and they don't go after all the ducks they focus on one.
Ask around if anyones seen abunch of dogs or coyotes . If it was someones dogs, this needs handled.

I'm sorry for your loss! I second dog pack, I've never seen coyotes hunt in anything more than pairs with maybe older pups, and they don't go after all the ducks they focus on one.
Ask around if anyones seen abunch of dogs or coyotes . If it was someones dogs, this needs handled.
I have never seen a pack of dogs around here and we are close with our few neighbors here. They all have animals and are good honest people. I’m just so perplexed by all of this thank you all for your input. I have experienced loss before but always signs of feathers to show the way. Or tracks.

We had a flock of 14 ducks who always stay very tight together right around the property.
I let them out at 8am all is normal and came back out about an hour and a half later and there are only 7 left all looking traumatized, 2 with open wounds that look to be teeth or scratches and bleeding a bit. Fast forward to that night at dusk and one more duck hardly able to stand comes crying down the hill slowly to return to the flock. I couldn’t believe my eyes it had stumbled home so hurt hours later. Has a severely hurt foot and wing and more wound marks all along the neck and head. My family and I have scoured the property for the last two days with no sign of a fight or feathers anywhere. What could have grabbed 7 ducks at once in such a short time with no sign of anything anywhere? We live in a wooded area and heard coyotes that night and that’s what I want to think it is? But wouldn’t they of left behind feathers and could a pack of grabbed that many? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
So sorry for your loss. Hoping your injured recover.

That sounds like a dog. They can easily gobble the thing down whole and go after more. Any rotten neighbor kids? Im so sorry to hear of this, I know i'd be really upset at something like this myself. Hopefully you can find an answer and then a resolution to make sure it does not happen again.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom