6, going on 7, Broody Buff Orpingtons! UPDATE Post 19 - Chick Killer!

woot.gif
I love broodies
love.gif

Quote:
They were hatched from private seller's flocks, including some from hinkjc on BYC. Broody hens are the best! Gotta love 'em.

No they aren't. They stop laying for months and then you've got to get rid of the chicks.

Iv'e got another who is broody. I take her out of the nest and she just sits on the floor like a flop moppit. I swear I could just put eggs under her and she'd sit on them in a pile of barbred wire. I can't have that. You just end up giving chicks away. If you can! I've had 6 or 7 in the last few months. I never thought they were so common. No wonder people want RIR's they hardly go broody.

Quote:
They were hatched from private seller's flocks, including some from hinkjc on BYC. Broody hens are the best! Gotta love 'em.

No they aren't. They stop laying for months and then you've got to get rid of the chicks.

Iv'e got another who is broody. I take her out of the nest and she just sits on the floor like a flop moppit. I swear I could just put eggs under her and she'd sit on them in a pile of barbred wire. I can't have that. You just end up giving chicks away. If you can! I've had 6 or 7 in the last few months. I never thought they were so common. No wonder people want RIR's they hardly go broody.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Broodies are my treasures.

A good broody hen is worth her weight in gold.
All 6 of my buff orps have been broody this year, the last 2 are still with chicks. The first one was all puffed up again yesterday shes probably thinking about it again. Ive got 9 total broody's right now and 7 more broody momma hens with chicks.
My trouble with the broodys is they change nest on me so I have to move them when I set them with eggs. And my other trouble is not having more brood pens. What I ran into last year was it got too hot for my broodys and I had lots of eggs go rotten. So I have decided this year to set the hens with fake eggs and set my incubator with the eggs I want to hatch and give the hens the chicks.
I've had 2 so far that I've done this with worked great. I'll be giving chicks to hen # 19 this weekend and #24 3 days after that.
I've had 24 total broody hens so far this year. Breeds included are buff orpington, wheaten marans, American game, black orpington, ameracana, American game mix .And one of my blue Andalusian girls but she only lasts a few days and quits, she done the same thing last year. I think she is a monkey see monkey do type.
My hopes is for a future brood coop to house 12 hens with chicks and a place for 6 to 8 setting.
fl.gif

thumbsup.gif
for all the broodys.

Oh I just love this!!! Those broodies are just beautiful, what a wonderful picture and how fun and I bet nerve wracking all at the same time. I so hope next spring or summer to have a few broody hens.

Please keep us updated on their hatching's, I can't wait to see all those chicks.

I'm really frustrated with one of my older hens. She has turned into a newborn chick killer.
sad.png
When the chicks are just hatched and still wet, she is pulling them out of the nests and killing them. As long as they are fluffy, she leaves them alone. You can say that I'm pretty upset with her right now.

So far I have the following survivors:
1 hen with 1 Lav. Cochin project chick
1 hen with another Lav. Cochin project chick
1 hen with 2 Lav. Cochin project chicks
1 hen with 1 Buff Orpington chick

What in the tarnation am I going to do with this hens with 1 (or 2) chicks?!

Good lord! That picture is soooo funny! I've only had a couple broody buff orps at one time and they never stay broody long enough to hatch anything.
lol.png
That sure is a cute picture!!

ETA: Sorry, I didn't read your last post... that's sad. So sorry
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom