6 hens-none of the eggs are as they should be!

Yeah...so then I thought I would order and hatch some show quality eggs myself ....and only had 2 hatch from 14 eggs :( At least they both turned out to be pullets so I am waiting to see how dark they will lay, they are both 19 weeks old this weekend.

These egg's in the photos are from your EE's ??????

gander007
old.gif

No I believe they are all the eggs are from the Marran-black birds. They started laying first and I am not even sure the EE's have layed an egg at all yet!

I do not think these qualify for a # 4 if they are Marans but it is the cold
time of the year and spring is when the real chocolate colors come out
good luck ,,,, oh most Marans I've had lay a more round egg not the
longer shaped egg's most chickens lay .........

gander007
old.gif

Oh and Black Copper Marans are the really dark layers, Cuckoo Marans aren't known for laying a dark egg unless you get get them from a Breeder who breeds for it. You would have to be pretty lucky to get a dark layer from a hatchery.

And ... as much as I've read in the BCM threads, the eggs are colored in a cycle not seasonally. The darkest egg is laid at the beginning of the cycle and it fades as the cycle progresses. Then she takes some time off and when she begins another cycle, the eggs are dark again.

Last edited:
Well this is promising as I have for sure had some of the speckled ones-which were very interesting! I'm still going to go with the EE's aren't laying yet LOL
Thanks for all the help here!! I'm feeling quite a bit better about my girls
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom