6 Miniature Appleyard eggs - advice welcome

Hi guys, just a quick update.

Unfortunately it turned out that only 3 of the eggs were fertile/viable - the person I got them off however sent us some more (half cost) which are now in a new incubator - a Brinsea mini II ex, which seems to be much better... truly is amazing quality. It has full control of the humidity and you can adjust the frequency of the turn and adjust the turn depending on the size of the eggs.
The new batch of 6 have been in there for 4 days now and all 6 show clear signs of life.

Going back to the first batch, as I said only 3 were fertile it seems however I am unsure on how well they are actually doing.
I am 99% certain one of the three eggs has died (is that the correct word to use? it makes me feel guilty!) - the other two I am not sure about.
A few days ago I noticed the auto turner on the incubator was not working and the temperature was fluctuating, not by much maybe .3 of a degree Celsius.
We have since started turning the eggs manually and moved the incubator to a more temperature neutral area in the house.

I noticed the growth of the veins started to slow down and I was seeing less movement in the veins which were already formed today there seems to be something which could be the bird forming however no movement under a light and there is a clear 'cavity' in the egg... but I really do not know!
I would really appreciate some input on how these look, the first picture is of the one which I believe is 'dead' the others are of the 2 which I am unsure on.

Note: these are on day 19 of incubation

rip.jpg
feretile1.jpg
feretile3.jpg
feretile2.jpg

As a bonus question: with the new eggs how frequently should I be turning the eggs? With the new incubator I can set it to do a half turn every 10min - 12 hours... can you turn the eggs too often? I currently have it set for every 2 hours at a 50% turn.

Many thanks all <3

The first egg looks like a goner to me, the rest of the eggs it's hard to see, which isn't a bad sign! Do you see any veins in the other eggs? As far as turning goes, I would go every two hours, but I would wait to see Pyxis and WVduckchick opinion though, they have much more experience than me.

Hi guys, just a quick update.

Unfortunately it turned out that only 3 of the eggs were fertile/viable - the person I got them off however sent us some more (half cost) which are now in a new incubator - a Brinsea mini II ex, which seems to be much better... truly is amazing quality. It has full control of the humidity and you can adjust the frequency of the turn and adjust the turn depending on the size of the eggs.
The new batch of 6 have been in there for 4 days now and all 6 show clear signs of life.

Going back to the first batch, as I said only 3 were fertile it seems however I am unsure on how well they are actually doing.
I am 99% certain one of the three eggs has died (is that the correct word to use? it makes me feel guilty!) - the other two I am not sure about.
A few days ago I noticed the auto turner on the incubator was not working and the temperature was fluctuating, not by much maybe .3 of a degree Celsius.
We have since started turning the eggs manually and moved the incubator to a more temperature neutral area in the house.

I noticed the growth of the veins started to slow down and I was seeing less movement in the veins which were already formed today there seems to be something which could be the bird forming however no movement under a light and there is a clear 'cavity' in the egg... but I really do not know!
I would really appreciate some input on how these look, the first picture is of the one which I believe is 'dead' the others are of the 2 which I am unsure on.

Note: these are on day 19 of incubation

View attachment 2102738View attachment 2102739View attachment 2102740View attachment 2102741

As a bonus question: with the new eggs how frequently should I be turning the eggs? With the new incubator I can set it to do a half turn every 10min - 12 hours... can you turn the eggs too often? I currently have it set for every 2 hours at a 50% turn.

Many thanks all <3

I can see veins in your darker eggs so I think they are still ok. Unless there is one smelling bad.

Thank you! I shall remove the first egg from the incubator.

The other two, yes I can see veins still although it is quite difficult to make them out - they also did seem to "slow down" as the black mass was forming.
I have been doing some more reading and from the guide @pete55 posted they do seem to be progressing in the expected way. We shall be setting up the brooder this week in the hope that these two do hatch, I guess time will tell!

Back
Top Bottom