6 month old cochin...boy or girl??

If that's a Large Fowl cochin, I would say girl. Pretty small at 6 months. Not seeing real big wattles there either. A nice LF cochin will get a bump of feathering above the tail, so that could be what you are thinking is saddle feathers. My girls always got that extra feathering before that nice bump comes along.

Sometimes the pictures work...sometimes not. Interesting. It does resemble a brahma in some ways. The feet are feathered only on one side. It is red in the face and much much bigger than any of the other birds in the yard. Of course I did acquire it from a nice girl who didn't seem too sure if it was a boy or a girl or what breed it was. She was guessing cochin based on the feet I think. The comb is very small and the waddles as well.

Last edited:
If that's a Large Fowl cochin, I would say girl. Pretty small at 6 months. Not seeing real big wattles there either. A nice LF cochin will get a bump of feathering above the tail, so that could be what you are thinking is saddle feathers. My girls always got that extra feathering before that nice bump comes along.
I'm talking about the pointed stringy feathers on the side of the tail, not the bump. The comb looks like a pullet's though.

I also have this houdan that I can't sex for the life of me. Though I'm making a strangled guess that it's a female. It was born the last week of May.

My tablet seems to take terrible pictures. I apologize for it. And I really appreciate all the feed back. If the sweet white bird is male it's either going to end up on the table for Thanksgiving (dun dun DUN) or rehomed. The houdan, however, I couldn't bring myself to eat so if it's male it's going to find a nice new home with some ladies. I already have a silkie rooster and a Swedish Flower plus my weirdo transvestite frizzle polish rooster named Frankenfurter (he doesn't do anything remotely roosterish except crow occasionally and boop boops around the yard like a hen.) Gotta keep those rooster numbers down.

Back
Top Bottom