6 month old EE leaking yellowish and clear fluid from winking vent. What is wrong?!

BellasBunch

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2016
I searched and searched but really not sure on the fix. My EE may(not sure it was her) have layed an egg for the first time last week. it was intact. 3 days later found 2 softshell eggs layed both broken. Nothing since until... So this afternoon let all 5 chickens out to free range for a few minutes before bed. Noticed her vent was wet and winking non stop. Looked like yellowish discharge and also clear discharge. ewww. Meanwhile i rounded them up back into their coop and there was an rubber egg on the grass. Someone, probably her, dropped it right in front of me and i didnt see! I cleaned up her bottom and put her on the roost for the night. I am worried! Should I be? What could it be? infection? was she eggbound? an infection? please advise as I really like this little bugger> Thank you!!

Not unusual for new layers to lay thin shelled, softshelled or shelless eggs at first.
It can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out.

Just keep a close eye on her...check her vent and abdomen regularly until you're sure she's functioning normally.

Make sure you are offering oyster shells in a separate dish, even if you are feeding layer feed.
What are you feeding them?

Are your other birds laying yet?

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
Squatting:
If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Thanks! This was her 4th rubber egg. My concern was not only has she She actually has only layed 4 eggs total starting two weeks ago. So, she is working up to laying but not regularly yet I suppose. Problem when I posted was that her bottom was wet and leaking liquid. Perhaps eggbound? I let her out to free range and within a few minutes she dropped a rubber egg in the grass. The other hens have been laying for a couple -three weeks. All hard shelled : ). They are on Layena organic layer crumbles, free choice oyster shell, occassional watermelon, mealworms, or oiled sunflower seeds as a snack. Morning I mix a treat of steel cut oatmeal with yogurt and a few blueberries : ) like 1/2 to 3/4 cup for all 5 to share. Do you think she was eggbound? Is it likely to reoccur? She hasnt layed again as of yet. Thank you! Boy, this new chicken mom thing is work at times! So much to learn around every corner! Thank you so much for coaching ; )

Back
Top Bottom