6 month old hen vomiting. Big soft crop.

JulieHei

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
Hello.
One of my hens is vomiting. She has vomited a lot tonight, the vomit consists of food like grass, pellets, bread, and some boiled potato. She is drinking water, but the crop feels very big and soft, like a water balloon. I tought it might be sour crop, but she does not smell bad. The smell from the beak is normal. I have tried to give her yoghurt, and she ate some of it. I don’t know how long this have been going on, since I was in the city this weekend and my family watched the chickens. She acts normal, but during the day she has been a lot inside when the others have been outside.

I fear that she is really sick, but I don’t know whats wrong with her. Have anyone experienced this before? Do you know what I should do to help her? Also tried massaging her crop tonight.
89CDA46C-382F-485D-B1FC-43BDB48DD97D.jpeg

Is she lethargic? Puffed up? Sleepy? If she's acting normal, I would see if this vomiting passes, because I think she's fine. She looks very alert in the picture. Her eyes are very bright. Sick birds have dull eyes and a hunched position.

She’s not lethargic, puffed up or sleepy - I still think she is acting a bit strange even though she seems to be healthy. Like she is in the box all day when the others are outside. I will keep watching her.

Chickens do not vomit. When stuff is coming up out of their crops, it’s literally overflowing because it’s impacted and the food can’t go down into the stomach to digest. Impacted crop is the stage before sour crop - what happens is the sits and ferments. I would separate her and take food and water away immediately and make her go about 24 hours with nothing to see if it goes down.

Chickens do not vomit. When stuff is coming up out of their crops, it’s literally overflowing because it’s impacted and the food can’t go down into the stomach to digest. Impacted crop is the stage before sour crop - what happens is the sits and ferments. I would separate her and take food and water away immediately and make her go about 24 hours with nothing to see if it goes down.

That sounds bad. I will try to do that after work today! I think she «vomited» both yesterday and the day before, so maybe it’s been like this for a few days already. What sould I do if nothing changes after 24 hours?

That sounds bad. I will try to do that after work today! I think she «vomited» both yesterday and the day before, so maybe it’s been like this for a few days already. What sould I do if nothing changes after 24 hours?
If her crop doesn’t go down after 24 hours, I would offer her some garlic water and maybe a little bit of cold coconut oil. There are other things you can do as well... let me look some things up....
ok here is a good one.

https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/02/sour-crop.html

Back
Top Bottom