6 month old hens not laying

My Araucana/Easter Egg (not sure anymore) spent a lot of time in the nesting box the other day but I'm not sure if she left an egg or if it was the Speckled Sussex. It was a creamy-pinkish egg so it's hard to say. The Speckled Sussex only seems to lay every 2-3 days if it was her.

I actually think my "Araucana" is laying the cream/pink eggs and not the Speckled Sussex. I've seen her in the nesting box a few times and then shortly after find the cream/pink egg. I'm bummed because I thought she'd lay blue/green eggs as she has green/slate legs and a rose/pea comb :(

My Araucana/Easter Egg (not sure anymore) spent a lot of time in the nesting box the other day but I'm not sure if she left an egg or if it was the Speckled Sussex. It was a creamy-pinkish egg so it's hard to say. The Speckled Sussex only seems to lay every 2-3 days if it was her.
If she's from a feed store or hatchery, she's an Easter Egger. True Araucana can only be obtained from breeders.

I have a suspicion that my one and only easter egger may not give us colored eggs either
sad.png
...haven't actually seen her in nest box to get egg to prove it??
She should be laying by now 32 weeks and no colors so far...she has olive colored legs too

I have a suspicion that my one and only easter egger may not give us colored eggs either
sad.png
...haven't actually seen her in nest box to get egg to prove it??
She should be laying by now 32 weeks and no colors so far...she has olive colored legs too
Legs color does not indicate egg color. If she's hatchery/feed store sourced, a pea comb would mean she's more likely to carry the blue shell gene.

Anyone have a Braham? I have one and she is 7mo and not laying yet I'm assuming it's due to the weather Im just so worried I just lost my Barre Rock the other day not 100% sure what happened but I think she was laying internally :(

Anyone have a Braham? I have one and she is 7mo and not laying yet I'm assuming it's due to the weather Im just so worried I just lost my Barre Rock the other day not 100% sure what happened but I think she was laying internally
sad.png
Most Brahmas don't start laying until around 6 to 8 months old. They are a slow to mature breed.

hi, new here and didn't see where to start a new thread, so pardon my jumping into an existing thread to ask my question. i have a sizeable flock of free range "mutt" chickens. happy birds. sometimes, they let me find their eggs, sometimes they show me babies. all my girls start laying pretty early, which has me at a loss for advice for my friend, whose cooped hens have yet to lay, after about 10 months. i have my suspicions, but he doesn't seem to want to hear them. see, he likes to pick his hens up and cuddle them and hold them on their backs like babies. every day. i suspect this is the problem. as much as WE might love cuddling our birds, i don't think our birds are as keen on it. i suspect that his daily cuddle sessions are stressing his birds out, which is causing them to not lay eggs. can anyone confirm my suspicions, or tell me i'm just being an anti-cuddle crank?

hi, new here and didn't see where to start a new thread, so pardon my jumping into an existing thread to ask my question. i have a sizeable flock of free range "mutt" chickens. happy birds. sometimes, they let me find their eggs, sometimes they show me babies. all my girls start laying pretty early, which has me at a loss for advice for my friend, whose cooped hens have yet to lay, after about 10 months. i have my suspicions, but he doesn't seem to want to hear them. see, he likes to pick his hens up and cuddle them and hold them on their backs like babies. every day. i suspect this is the problem. as much as WE might love cuddling our birds, i don't think our birds are as keen on it. i suspect that his daily cuddle sessions are stressing his birds out, which is causing them to not lay eggs. can anyone confirm my suspicions, or tell me i'm just being an anti-cuddle crank?
If they are used to being handled, I doubt they are stressed. It might be that their nutritional needs are out of balance from an over-indulgent owner feeding too many goodies to his babies, though.

Back
Top Bottom