6 month old Peking duck limping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Williamseggs, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Williamseggs

Williamseggs New Egg

Apr 14, 2014
    Our 6 month old Peking duck started limping about a week ago. I cleaned and observed her foot and leg and she does not seem sensitive to touch or moving either. I have read all the posts about bumble foot, sprains/strains, abrasions, etc. but not sure what my first move should be. I didn't confine her at first but today she started trying to use her wing as a crutch so I confined to a smaller area and not allowing her access to the yard for foraging this morning. Here are 2 pictures that may help you all who are more experienced with ducks see something that I don't. (the dark spot on the bottom cleaned off after taking the picture but she was done being held so no new pictures were able to be taken)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like there could be something going on in middle close to mid toe , is that a scab? did you feel all over for a splinter ir something else that could be in there? For now I'd get some Epsom salt and start soaking after you have checked for any sharp objects that may be in the foot. I use a half gal bucket a gal would work too, I put in half to 1 cup of ES then nice warm water mix well then stick both of the ducks feet and legs into the bucket and hold them as long as possible at least 5 min. hopefully longer. The ES will help with swelling, draw out anything that maybe in there and will also help with inflammation. If she'll co operate maybe soak 2X a day. There is drawing slave too. Keeping her contained in a smaller area is a great idea. FYI Epsom salt is also a laxative so you don't want her drinking the ES water.

3. JaceStolle

JaceStolle Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2014
    you might clip its toenail too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by