6 Month Old Pullet not standing up, not eating or drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Liggysasha, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Liggysasha

Liggysasha New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    I've been away on vacation for a week and my hubby has been looking after the flocks. I got home today and I'm very worried. Here's the info:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    She's a Giant Black pullet, about 6 months old. I'm not sure of her weight but she is on the smaller side, always has been.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She can't stand up, her legs are totally limp. She has no interest in food or drink and has diarrhea (light brown color). Also I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but she no longer has a comb or waddle. I'm sure she did have a very small comb and waddle before!

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Not sure. My husband says she's been sitting around in the coop for almost a week. I'm not sure how long she's not had the use of her legs though.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No trauma

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    No idea. She's always been on the smaller side. I do also have a flock of guineas - 1 has just died of similar symptoms and 1 with sick with the same symptoms.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Layer Crumbles and water. But she doesn't seem to have eaten much lately.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Runny and a light brown in color.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    We've separated her from the flock and offered her food and water. That's all.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Would rather treat her ourselves as we don't have an avian vet nearby.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I'll try and get photos later, but they probably won't help.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Outside coop, chicken mesh on all sides (we live in Florida, so don't have a wall enclosed coop). Hay on the floor and wood shavings in the nest boxes (which I don't think she goes into, she hasn't started laying yet). Free range during the day, but hasn't been this past week while I've been on vacation. The guinea fowls coop is directly next to the chicken coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by