6 month old Silkie rooster cannot walk or balance, HELP!

Lil Twang

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2021
My silkie rooster (6 months old) is struggling to get around. One day he was walking normally, the next day he couldn't. He will sit back and his feet will lift off the ground and he leans against the sides of the cage I have him in for balance (He has been in the house for a week now separated from the rest of his flock). He crows like its nobody's business, he seems to be eating fine. I checked for bumblefoot and couldn't find anything. When checking his legs, he does not appear to be in pain. Treated him for mites and lice just in case, although I did not notice any during the little time he allowed me to inspect. I have been giving him nutridrench and poultry cell in case its a deficiency, and nothing seems to be helping. His breathing seems fine, his eyes are clear, and he is defecating normally. My only other guess is that maybe since he does not roost on the roosting bars in the coop, he sleeps on the floor, that maybe one of the hens jumped down on him causing a back injury. I did end up removing the bedding after the pic was taken and using a towel in the cage instead so that he doesn't slip and slide when attempting to move. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 63596758309__03859BB0-8963-413D-A16F-A8CD7974576F 2.JPG
    63596758309__03859BB0-8963-413D-A16F-A8CD7974576F 2.JPG
    589.2 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to BYC, sorry your silkie is sick. Can you take a video of him trying to walk, upload it to YouTube or Vimeo then copy and paste the link here?

Welcome to BYC, sorry your silkie is sick. Can you take a video of him trying to walk, upload it to YouTube or Vimeo then copy and paste the link here?
I will see if he will attempt to walk when i get home from work this evening

This is a new behavior for him, I’m not sure what he’s doing but it seems continuous. He will pick his head up for a second and put it right back down. He currently has rubbed his head in some poop....my poor little guy

Is a vet an option?
There is one not too far away, I’ve already called and they are booked up. I have an appointment for Tuesday unless they have a cancellation, then I can bring him in sooner (if he makes it that long, this was a serious change)

Greetings Lil Twang,

So sorry your little Silkie roo is ill. I agree with casportpony, he needs to see a vet...ASAP.

It appears he is losing muscle control. It is not uncommon for Silkie's and other crested poultry to be more susceptible to brain injury. Perhaps a steroid will help him recover. Keep in mind that Marek's is something that affects Silkies too. The vet will know what to do.

It's good you have given him the vitamin supplements. You can also help him by placing bolsters around him, in his crate, to help hold him up. Make bolsters by rolling up some towels. A sling may not be safe for him, if he is having problems controlling his movements.

You may have to make a wet feed, and feed it to him manually with a spoon. You'll also have to take care with the water if he cannot control his head. If he can't eat the wet feed from a spoon or a dish, or drink water, you may have to feed him manually with an oral feeding syringe.

Keep him well fed and comfortable, about 70 degrees, not hot. Hopefully, he will survive until he sees the vet.

These are my thoughts on your sick Silkie roo. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Greetings Lil Twang,

So sorry your little Silkie roo is ill. I agree with casportpony, he needs to see a vet...ASAP.

It appears he is losing muscle control. It is not uncommon for Silkie's and other crested poultry to be more susceptible to brain injury. Perhaps a steroid will help him recover. Keep in mind that Marek's is something that affects Silkies too. The vet will know what to do.

It's good you have given him the vitamin supplements. You can also help him by placing bolsters around him, in his crate, to help hold him up. Make bolsters by rolling up some towels. A sling may not be safe for him, if he is having problems controlling his movements.

You may have to make a wet feed, and feed it to him manually with a spoon. You'll also have to take care with the water if he cannot control his head. If he can't eat the wet feed from a spoon or a dish, or drink water, you may have to feed him manually with an oral feeding syringe.

Keep him well fed and comfortable, about 70 degrees, not hot. Hopefully, he will survive until he sees the vet.

These are my thoughts on your sick Silkie roo. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)
Thank you so much for the advice. I do not know if he was vaccinated for Mareks, he was adopted past the vaccination time frame. All the others from his flock seem to be doing just fine, my female silkie laid her first egg today! Back to Mr. Silk, he was balancing fine this morning and crowing so I put him outside in the sun today in the crate ((with the crate part shaded) )and he stood up and was crowing away, pecking at the ground like nothing was wrong. He wasnt really walking around, but hes always been kind of lazy (I always said he was part ostrich because he always hid from everything, not very rooster like lol). What ever is going on with him is such a mystery! But we are keeping the vet appointment for next week. Thank you so much for the advice :)

Just an update on my little guy. Mr. Silk was injured, not sick. the head shaking happens when he is stressed. He has remained in the house and will be inside with me until he regains all his strength. He gets outside to forage for an hour or so a day under my strict supervision and he is doing well. He is not running yet, but he is walking pretty well and stumbling on occasion. He does still favor his right side but in time he will be back to his normal self. Thank you all for your concern and advice to help get my little guy well.

Back
Top Bottom