6 month olds to the day and no eggs yet. :(

My chickens are 24 weeks as well and I am like you no eggs.All the signs are there but still waiting.I feel your pain.
he.gif
barnie.gif

ploub and hilaryhake - Hope your girls lay soon! It is always so hard. What type of chickens do you have ploub?

HilaryHake- It sounds like you take such good care of your babies! I bet they're spoiled rotten. :)

I have 4 SLW's and 11 black Astrolops and1 ? I think she is a red sex link.I feed them layer feed 2 times a day as well as free range
D.gif
them for 3-4 hours a day in the evening.I give them a moderate amount of treats.I also offer them oyster shell.All the signs are there red combs and squatting and they even investigate the nesting boxes as well as getting romantic with the boys
hugs.gif
(boys are still somewhat yucky though). For now still watcing and waiting for my first egg.
pop.gif

I had the "where are the egg problems last year" --well low and behold, we started looking in nooks and cranies and found nothing. sat in the back lawn and looked over at the junior cage(which originally was a dual sided rabbit cage at one time)--realized that I did not look in the side of the cage we don't use but couldn't understand how they would get in it anyway. walked over and looked--small opening in the cage part which led to the inside of the unused coop.--opened up the door and what do you think I saw---eggs and more eggs. from the amount of eggs I took out of there, they had been laying since about 19 weeks old.(6 weeks worth of 6 rir) of course all mine free range soooo-everyones situation will be different.
good luck everyone!

Yes, definitely look in the nooks and crannies! My first layer was laying in a thorn patch. Wyandottes and Australorps, at least mine, tend to be a little slower maturing.

Last edited:
Yay
yesss.gif
I am so happy for you hilaryhake. Mine have not laid as of yet and if I have calculated right they are 26 weeks as of Sept 2.

Last edited:
We got 3 brown eggs today! Woohoo! Except, I added 7 more RIRs to our flock this week that are about the same age so the eggs could be coming from them lol. Either way, we are getting eggs and if the newbies are laying the eggs hopefully they will teach the others what they are supposed to be doing. ;)

Back
Top Bottom