6 month Silkie pullet please confirm?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
Please see pics. 6 months old Silkie. I thought pullet but she has large wattles compared to her sisters.
Thanks!

IMG20200920112603.jpg IMG20200920112559.jpg IMG20200920112704.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20200920112701.jpg
    IMG20200920112701.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 9
Hmm she does have quite the wattles and comb for a girl but looking pretty pullet like otherwise. I don't have any non bearded so can't comment on the wattles but I do have some girls that get bigger combs. I can see why she is confusing you. If she happens to be getting close to laying feeling for her pubic bones might help determine gender. If she is still pretty far from laying it won't tell you anything but if she is close and they've started widening you can be pretty confident she is a girl. With the comb and wattle that large I would think maybe she is getting close if she's a girl.

The pubic bones are under the vent. Males and young females have the pubic bones very close together. As females get older and prepare for laying the pubic bones start spreading apart. I usually can't fit more than a finger width between the pubic bones in young pullets and cockerels/cocks. If you can fit two finger widths between the pubic bones you've likely got a girl close to laying. They feel quite pokey, usually pretty easy to feel.

Of course there are breeders who've been breeding for years that get fooled so maybe she is actually a very feminine looking he. :lol:

I honestly don't know what to think about her. She/he is beautiful though! :love

Hmm she does have quite the wattles and comb for a girl but looking pretty pullet like otherwise. I don't have any non bearded so can't comment on the wattles but I do have some girls that get bigger combs. I can see why she is confusing you. If she happens to be getting close to laying feeling for her pubic bones might help determine gender. If she is still pretty far from laying it won't tell you anything but if she is close and they've started widening you can be pretty confident she is a girl. With the comb and wattle that large I would think maybe she is getting close if she's a girl.

The pubic bones are under the vent. Males and young females have the pubic bones very close together. As females get older and prepare for laying the pubic bones start spreading apart. I usually can't fit more than a finger width between the pubic bones in young pullets and cockerels/cocks. If you can fit two finger widths between the pubic bones you've likely got a girl close to laying. They feel quite pokey, usually pretty easy to feel.

Of course there are breeders who've been breeding for years that get fooled so maybe she is actually a very feminine looking he. :lol:

I honestly don't know what to think about her. She/he is beautiful though! :love
That info is great thanks! I tried to feel past all the fluff and it seems only 1 finger space but it might change if she is a she, hopefully :fl ... You'd think by 6 months old it would be easy to tell!!

Back
Top Bottom