6 months old Royal Palm Toms free range?

motorafung

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
I got these two toms from my neighbor when they were 2 months old. They were hatched and raised by the hen and were very skittish. After I put them in a pen for 3 months, one of them dares to eat from my hand but the other one is still afraid of me.

Should I let them free range now? Will them fly away and never come back?
I am thinking maybe let one of them come out to see how it goes..

Tried to free range the peahen I had before and she never came back. So I don't know if this will happen to my turkeys since they are not tame.

Any suggestions? How should I let them free range?
Or maybe train them with meal worms?

I would get the one who eats out of your hand and train him with meal worms. Or you could throw out some scratch or oats where he would be free ranging and see if he will stay and eat it. He will not fly away if you do that. Good luck! :)

I raised my heritage poults with my chicks and when they reach about 2 months old I let them all fee range. They free ranged until they reached about 4 months old and my neighbor complained about my turkeys constantly being on their property. At that point I built them a coop and keep them in there now. They managed to get pretty far while out free ranging but they always came back before dark.

If your turkeys have been in a pen for 3 months they should recognize that as home and return to the pen before dark every day.

Back
Top Bottom