my turkey hens don't like it here anymore :(

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
Last week, a pair of coyotes were walking around and around the fenced yard. The coyotes didn't get in, but my two 5 month-old hens freaked out and flew away. (My only other turkeys are older toms, they made popping noises and didn't try to escape)

The hens disappeared for 2 days and I felt sick. When they came back, I was over the moon, but they only stopped in for a few minutes to eat, and then left in a hurry. That's how it's been every day since. This morning they showed up to eat, but the older tom chased them from the feeder, and they took off and didn't try to come back. It's like they're scared to be here.

What can I do to convince them to stay in the yard? I thought about locking them in the shed the next time they show up for food, but that might traumatize them and then they'll never come back. I'm also wondering if they found a wild flock to join. They never bonded with my toms :(

I think the reason they might be running off is you have too many toms for the two hens. Maybe you could separate them? If I have animals that run off I build them a temporary run with whatever materials are available (generally garden wire mounted on stakes or a couple puppy gates) and cover it with netting. I don’t know if this would work for you because of the coyotes though. But the turkeys will probably keep running off and or stay away altogether if they’re not locked up. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along to help soon; this is my first year raising turkeys so I’m by no means an expert :).

I think the reason they might be running off is you have too many toms for the two hens. Maybe you could separate them? If I have animals that run off I build them a temporary run with whatever materials are available (generally garden wire mounted on stakes or a couple puppy gates) and cover it with netting. I don’t know if this would work for you because of the coyotes though. But the turkeys will probably keep running off and or stay away altogether if they’re not locked up. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along to help soon; this is my first year raising turkeys so I’m by no means an expert :).
The hens have their own yard with their own feeder but they fly out and prefer to use the one everyone else uses :( Should I lock them in the shed? It's the only thing I have that they can't fly out of right now.

If they were mine I would…I have a turkey hen about the age of yours that likes to fly over the fence and when I catch her she gets locked in the pen for the rest of the day.

If they were mine I would…I have a turkey hen about the age of yours that likes to fly over the fence and when I catch her she gets locked in the pen for the rest of the day.
Is one day enough? I'm worried they will feel trapped in there and when I let them out, they will run away for good.

What are you talking about when you say "shed"?
Roomy, good air flow and lots of light or a cramped dark dungeon type?
How easily do they get over your fence? Would clipping their wings keep them in?
8x8 tuff shed, it has a ~4x6 HW cloth window on one wall and an exhaust fan. It's where my chickens roost, but I can move the chickens to a spare coop.

My fence is 42" electric fence. I don't think clipping their wings would be enough. They are nimble.

I was planning to build a covered pen with welded wire for when they start laying next spring, but I guess I should do it ASAP if it's not already too late :(

Update: The hens stayed inside the yard all day yesterday and today. They seem much calmer now.
It is my guess that the coyotes were still creeping around all week even though I did not see them. The hens probably saw them and were scared to come back. Just a guess. I am still getting their covered pen ready ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom