6' tall run, how do I...

MamaChic21

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Jackson, NJ
I'm building 16x24 (or 28) chicken run that is 6' tall. I've done 8 panels that are 8' long. I've made an A-frame on one side now, tomorrow will be making the rest. I would like to put plywood then shingles. So far, I've done everything by myself and quiet frankly I am so tired. I've got the supplies 9 plywoods for the coop, 8 4x4 post's and countless 2x4's, load them un load them, carry them to the site, fencing, digging holes for the post, painting and etc and with 2 young boys and a mother who thinks she knows everything but does nothing ! So my question is, for the roof, I'm going to make supporting A-frames for the plywood, but how would I carry 4x8 plywood up there ? I've called my brother, sister in-law and 2 nieces and N/A, I've contacted carpenters but they all want a lot of $. How can I do this by myslef ?

first question I think of is are you building a run or a coop. If you are just building a run... do you really need to put plywood and a roof on it?

As to moving the plywood, would a dolly work? another option would be to put the wood on a tarp and drag it?
or, cut the wood into managable sections and silicone the seams when you mount it?

Quote:
I'm building both but I'm working on the run and then the coop will be attached to it. I have a small dolly but I think it could work but getting up the run is my challenge. I see what you mean, cutting the plywood in smaller pieces, that could work, why not
ya.gif
. It could be 2x4 plywood instead of the 4x8. God bless you
wee.gif
Thank you

Last edited:
do you think I should do the roof frame 8 ft apart of 4ft apart ? In between I will put 2x4's to support the weight, especially when it snows.

I know exactly what your going through!

I have a 8' x 8' coop with 13' x 10' roof and the roof is ........... 3/4" plywood (5' x 9' by the way)! I used old Semi-trailer doors for the plywood (I think it has a weather treatment to it as well as having steel and aluminum on the sides).

Anyways, for mine what I did is parked my truck, park the truck right next to the coop with the plywood in the bed. Then I tiped the plywood up on the long end and rest it against the rafters. Then I would get my hands under the end, puff puff puff wheaties!
sickbyc.gif
and push those suckers onto the roof. To hold them in place I used clamps and clamp the sheet to the rafters - I love my Irwin bar Clamps!

I also placed the lowest sheets on first so the reamaining sheets would rest next to the previous sheet.

Since your at this stage can I make a suggestion? One of the best things I did with my coop was to add the Sky light! I know what your thinking - is this guy nuts a sky light!

I'm serious go to a resuse store or find something from the scratch and dent section and put that in. I had mine cracked open all winter (wisconsin) and I had no respritory issues, no excessive moisture buildup, no STRONG smell (there's always smell), and it was still plenty warm (no heater for water needed).

Hope this helps!
Spudd dud

What an awesome idea about the sky light!
Just be sure to also predator proof the openings to anything that leads into the coop area at night! Snakes, oppossums, minks can all fit through or pry into pretty small openings.
Hardware cloth is best to use and someone may even have some remnants of that you could use.

Quote:
Sky light, sounds good
big_smile.png
I like it. I'll look into that. I didn't start the coop yet, but did get all the supplies today and will be working on it on couple of days. But I can't decide if it should be 8x8 or 4x16
hu.gif
Thank you
smile.png

any openings will be closed
smile.png
I do have all kinds of predators out here and I'm taking extra precations to prevent them for getting in and I don't want to be faced with a snake in the coop either
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom