6 Week Old Barred Rock Gender......

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Sorry the uploads and this old post's content have been removed to make room in my uploads page (wouldn't make since without pictures huh?) Thank you for all the replies!

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

To me, only #7 BR looks like a pullet, but could go either way on the RIR.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:x2 only #7 is a sure bet, the rest are gonna crow, I do believe.

4. Fred's Hens

If you were to put all your BR together in a sleeping formation, the only dark one is the #7, right? Roos are lighter grey and brighter white bars. Typical hatchery stock, that is.

Note my roo and pullet side by side. Makes it quite obvious when they are together.

[​IMG]

5. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    5 7 & 3 are the dark ones. I said pullet on them for that reason...I have seen your pic before in another thread.....

6. Fred's Hens

Yeah, it's hard to get the lighting in photos. I'm not a great photographer and do not presently have a great camera.
    I can't see in each of your photos the wattles clearly, but in some, the wattles are clearly shown. The black down the front of leg is not always a pullet mark, I know the little roo in my photo there, you guessed it, has black down the front of his legs.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes, males will have some dark wash down the leg fronts, but not usually as much as the pullets. I can tell you that if you had BRs from old breeder lines like I have in my coop right now, the sexing rules don't apply that well, making the identification much harder till they are older. This bunch of mine is pretty confusing. Never had any problems with the other BRs I've raised over the years, though my BR rooster, Zane, was originally named Zoe, LOL.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Fred's Hens :

x3​

9. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area

x3

x4

10. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    IMHO #7 is def a pullet & I'm on the fence about #3. I think your RIR is a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by