6 week old chick fighting

crazychick87

Chirping
Jun 20, 2021
This is our second time raising chicks except this time our broody hen is doing all the work.
She has 4 chicks now 6 weeks old. I’m certain two are roosters, one female and I’m not 100% on the 4th one.
Anyway, one of them (I think rooster) is being such a little bully. The worst was today when he just kept pecking one and drew blood on its back and comb. Mum stepped in and gave him a quick peck which sorted him for a few minutes and he was off chasing the other chick again 🙄 I have used some purple spray on the chick with blood.
I know they tend to peck and squabble as they work out their pecking order but never has blood drawn before. It’s sticking very close to mum now and generally just hides.
pic of the culprit and injured one! He is beautiful but such a pain lol
75988C0E-A008-4378-BCB7-8A6068E87138.jpeg

E1D7EFB1-9DFB-491D-9A96-48B9B90712F5.jpeg

Oh my, he’s adorable!!
Is your plan to keep him or will he be finding a home? If rehoming, I would do it soon to solve the problem. If keeping, will he stay with the flock? Maybe you could start a bachelor pad.

Oh my, he’s adorable!!
Is your plan to keep him or will he be finding a home? If rehoming, I would do it soon to solve the problem. If keeping, will he stay with the flock? Maybe you could start a bachelor pad.
We wanted to keep him. We always wanted to add to the flock (we have 3 adult hens) and prepared for roosters although we only plan on keeping 1, any other roosters will be rehomed in the next few weeks, I just want to wait so I know 100% which others are roosters lol.
so far so good he’s been behaving since he got a telling off from mum! Never seen her try and break up the squabbling until this morning!
I hope he doesn’t end up being an absolute pain, I’ve such a soft spot for the feisty little fluff ball 🤣

Back
Top Bottom