6 week old chick with curled feet

Wi_Pida

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Gresham, Wisconsin
I don’t know how I missed this but I found one of my chicks with curled feet. I didn’t notice it when she hatched out. I have 36 chicks that are just about 6 weeks old and noticed that one was walking strange last week. I tried straightening them with splints but the other chicks kept pulling at them. It seems to be getting worse because now she’s walking on her left leg side instead of her foot. She’s eating and drinking great. Plays with the others and all. You would never know there was anything wrong with her. I’m not sure if it’s even treatable.
1DA7CE48-67A6-4DCA-B8BA-7517DBE577A8.jpeg
F383F80C-5496-4D11-A26A-D1577485D2C8.jpeg
A
6BDA7005-681A-4B5B-AFFE-4F18F117744F.jpeg
ny help would be appreciated.

I've seen a splint help straighten it out but theyve always been young chicks. I'm not sure if the age would make a difference.

Also, I believe that is a cockerel.

I've seen a splint help straighten it out but theyve always been young chicks. I'm not sure if the age would make a difference.

Also, I believe that is a cockerel.
Should I separate her from the others, because the other chicks won’t leave her alone.

Also, I’m pretty sure it’s a pullet the lighting made her comb look really red. Here’s
43A1DCC3-9D7E-438A-A5AF-E36C9B7988D9.jpeg
a pic of her next to one of the cockerels.

You may not have missed it. Toes can curl weeks after hatch due to riboflavin deficiency. http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/curly-toed-paralysis
Thank you. It’s been a couple weeks since I started adding things like ground liver, beans, boiled eggs, kale and spinach to the chickens supper mash. 2 days ago I noticed she is now walking on both of her feet and not the hock. Unfortunately, since I did catch it to late she will be crippled. She kind of walks like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Thank you. It’s been a couple weeks since I started adding things like ground liver, beans, boiled eggs, kale and spinach to the chickens supper mash. 2 days ago I noticed she is now walking on both of her feet and not the hock. Unfortunately, since I did catch it to late she will be crippled. She kind of walks like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully being a little crippled won't affect her too much!

Back
Top Bottom