6 week old chicks need to go outside, but it is 15 degrees out. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by melschulte, Mar 5, 2014.

1. melschulte

melschulte New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Hello - I have ten 6 week old chicks living in my house in a brooder. They are starting to fly out of their brooder fairly often, and are getting to be a little too much to have inside. In this never ending winter, we have been experiencing temperatures falling to less than 10 degrees (last night it was 0 degrees), with the next week looking like mid-teens each night. They seem to be fully feathered (although this is my first batch so I am not 100% sure). With the temperatures being what they are, does anyone have any suggestions? Can I put them in the coop now? Should I leave them in their brooder longer until it warms up? Should I somehow heat their coop for a week or two?

Any guidance or experience would be greatly appreciated. I am just not sure how cold is too cold for these guys… Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you put them in the coop, you will have to provide a heat source. This is the winter that just won't quit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by